• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Vanity Url From Fb/g+/youtube/etc Should Be Only In Lowercase?

Best Answer Michael Martinez , 14 October 2014 - 03:05 AM

There is no SEO advantage to using only lower-case letters in URLs. You want to do that simply because it is easier for people to read and type a single-case on the Web. Go to the full post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 inox

inox

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:20 AM

Hello,

I know that internal url's should always be set as lowercase.

But what about vanity url?

This form:

fb.com/SomePage

is it better than:

fb.com/somepage

Is important to use lowercase in vanity url's? Offer some seo advantage?

What about same scenario in Google+ pages or YouTube personalized links?

These kind of url's can be set only once so is better to make the right decision from start.

Not at last, thank you for your patience to answer.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:05 AM   Best Answer

There is no SEO advantage to using only lower-case letters in URLs. You want to do that simply because it is easier for people to read and type a single-case on the Web.
  • inox likes this

#3 inox

inox

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:26 AM

Thank you for prompt answer.

I will use cap first letter to be easier for people to read.

But the most important part is that there is no seo damage in doing this.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:34 AM

I will use cap first letter to be easier for people to read.

NEVER EVER use mixed case in URLs EVER.

It is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at all to do with SEO, but Linux servers are case sensitive  and "Word" is not equal to "word" when it comes to serving documents.

So if your url is "This-Is-A-Link" and the user types in "this-is-a-link" the server will be unable to find the document to serve and will respond with a 404 (Not Found) status.

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

Well, except if you're talking about the actual domain name itself, right? In my experience, I can type my domain names in mixed case, all caps, all lowercase, whatever and they seem to work (hosted on FreeBSD). It's the stuff after that first slash following the domain name -- folder names, file names, that sort of thing -- that can get you in trouble if the case is wrong. (And because I'm old school, I always use all lowercase for those.)

--Torka :oldfogey:

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

Yep host names are not case sensitive, it's just the URN part of the URL that is.

#7 inox

inox

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:20 AM

NEVER EVER use mixed case in URLs EVER.

It is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING at all to do with SEO, but Linux servers are case sensitive  and "Word" is not equal to "word" when it comes to serving documents.

So if your url is "This-Is-A-Link" and the user types in "this-is-a-link" the server will be unable to find the document to serve and will respond with a 404 (Not Found) status.

I am talking about fb.com/McDonalds for example. These kind of urls, not internal urls.

Facebook, YouTube, G+ personalized urls are indifferent to lowercase/uppercase.

So fb.com/McDonalds = fb.com/mcdonalds

And is also obvious, both urls going to the same page.

Linux it is case sensitive, but brand names ARE TOO. Apple, SamsungMobile, Microsoft Windows, etc will not change their brand image just because Linux is case sensitive.

So is clearly that FB, G+, YT, Twitter, etc, put a script on their websites that makes McDonalds=mcdonalds

And there is also a human factor that makes people to read easier SamsungMobile than samsungmobile.

I supposed that will not matter uppercase in vanity urls on social media, but I wanted to be sure.

And not at last, thank you all for your answers. :)

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

I am talking about fb.com/McDonalds for example. These kind of urls, not internal urls.

Facebook, YouTube, G+ personalized urls are indifferent to lowercase/uppercase.

So fb.com/McDonalds = fb.com/mcdonalds

And is also obvious, both urls going to the same page.

Linux it is case sensitive, but brand names ARE TOO. Apple, SamsungMobile, Microsoft Windows, etc will not change their brand image just because Linux is case sensitive.

So is clearly that FB, G+, YT, Twitter, etc, put a script on their websites that makes McDonalds=mcdonalds

And there is also a human factor that makes people to read easier SamsungMobile than samsungmobile.

I supposed that will not matter uppercase in vanity urls on social media, but I wanted to be sure.

And not at last, thank you all for your answers. :)

What has ANY of that to do with URLs?????????????????????????????

You can put ANYTHING you want as the TEXT on the page but the URL is case sensitive.

#9 inox

inox

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:37 PM

What has ANY of that to do with URLs?????????????????????????????

You can put ANYTHING you want as the TEXT on the page but the URL is case sensitive.

Facebook already resolve it.

facebook.com/SamsungMobile = facebook.com/samsungmobile

I asked same question on Google support forum and they answered that vanity urls are not case sensitive.

Once you chose a username that's it.

youtube.com/user/samsungmobile = youtube.com/user/SamsungMobile = .../SaMsUngmOBile

Test it. It doesn't matter.

I do not have an official confirmation, but biggest social media like FB G+ or YT, done this because of branding. For example Samsung Mobile is a brand (prestigious) and they want THAT url, not something else.

Linux could be case sensitive, but money talks. Probably all those social media gigants are using some script redirection, so it doesn't matter upper or lower.

What you say is still a rule for a website. If you have a website, YES, www.yourwebsite.com/SamsungMobile is not the same destination as www.yourwebsite.com/samsungmobile.

But if you pay some coder, this could be resolved. (Probably is not a big problem to made that redirection script.)

As I see, this website (highrankings.com) is registered by a lady: JILL WHALEN

Here you can see her G+ profile:

https://plus.google.com/+JillWhalen

See? J and W. So clearly is not a problem.

And in fact, is something normal, is her name.  For example, if you complete an official paper (a contract, a court order, etc) and you write the name with lowercase, the contract could be declared null.

I think the technology should copy our way and help us. Not viceversa.

Anyway... I am not a philosopher ... and don't want to debate this subject just to hear myself typing.

If you want, keep it in lowercase and everything will be fine.

I will prefer to use here-there an uppercase to make it easier for users.

Thank You :)

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

What on EARTH are you talking about??

Try https://www.google.co.uk/Search instead of https://www.google.co.uk/search and see what happens.

#11 inox

inox

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:43 PM

Yes and no.

https://adwords.goog.../KeywordPlanner = https://adwords.goog.../keywordplanner

http://www.google.com/analytics/ = http://www.google.com/Analytics/

But we are not talking here about Google's internal links. Even if for some of them, there is no problem with redirection. And for some of them it is (like Search/search).

We are talking about Social Media links. All those links are redirected to the correct address.

Please check on FB, G+ and YT. No matter if you use lowercase, UPPERCASE or MixedCase.

BTW, on Twitter you can change easily vanity url.

And redirection is only for personalized username.

For example:

www.youtube.com/user/SamsungMobile = /samsungmobile = /SAMSUNGMOBILE

BUT very strange thing when "user" becomes "USER":

http://www.youtube.c...R/SamsungMobile = http://www.youtube.c...dSnacksTakeTime

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:06 AM

I do not understand what you are talking about.

Yes, if your server is running a case sensitive operating system, special measure CAN be implemented to ensure that case sensitivity does NOT cause 'broken' URLs. But that does NOT change the fact that Unix based operating systems ARE case sensitive and unless YOU HAVE implemented measures to negate such problems you SHOULD avoid using mixed case.

Then of course if you have written your OWN web servers and operating system, as Google and FaceBook have done, you can make it do WHATEVER you want.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

You are correct inox. It's fine to use whatever case you like when promoting your social media URLs.

• inox likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.