• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is Link Building Necessary?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 LeoSeo

LeoSeo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:01 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a problem, I have just finished on page optimization of a website.

The optimization is better than my concurrents (I think ;) ) : I have a better google speed test, better w3c validation and no warning in the webmaster tool yet I am still behind. They don't seem to have a lot of backlinks.

- Also, Is link building the only solution I have to go up in rankings?

Many thanks for you help,

L.

Edited by Jill, 09 October 2014 - 10:24 AM.
removed site

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

You are in France, so YOUR results ARE going to be biased.

http://searchenginel...f-success-13258

Also, Is link building the only solution I have to go up in rankings?

Absolutely NOT, in fact YOU doing the "link building" is more likely to get your URLs OUT of the search results.

I have a better google speed test, better w3c validation

Not that "speed" matters that much at all and "validation" matters even less.

By the way ... How can you have "better" validation?? The documents either 'validate' or they do not, there is no "in-between".

Can I get rid of that and appear just for "REMOVED"?

Nope! Google decides where and for what you appear.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

"Link building" = search engine spam.

See how you can get build your audience via this pinned post:

Focusing (or not) on Google.

#4 LeoSeo

LeoSeo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

Hi Chris and Jill,

First of all, sorry if I should not have submitted urls/keywords.

Then By link building I was suggesting contacting bloggers and newspapers so I can write articles for them and have a link, I was not suggesting black hat techniques. 

By the way, eventhough ranking is not a good measure, clients ask why they are not in the first results for the specified keyword we built a strategy on. 

And when I see my concurrents pages, all they seem to have (more than me) is an old domain. Their designs/on page optimization are quite messy.

So let me rephrase my question : 

- If i have done all the on page optimization and have written great content, what can I do besides web marketing? I take "nothing" as a valid answer, I just want to be sure.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement likes this

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

"Guest blogging" and "article" link building are most definitely spamming.

clients ask why they are not in the first results for the specified keyword we built a strategy on.

Then it is part or your job to educate them as to what REALLY matters. Unless of course you ARE prepared to lose the contract because there is ABSOLUTELY no way you can provide what misguided clients expect.

Read the last paragraph even if you skip the rest.

http://webmaster-tal...he-google-dance

Their designs/on page optimization are quite messy.

Only in YOUR opinion, ever thought that it might just be YOU that has it wrong, and your "competition" do absolutely nothing especially for "search engines".

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

Link building is a legitimate part of Website promotion; unfortunately, thanks to Google and other search engines' incorporation of linking data into their algorithms the practice has become perverted.

You still need at least a few links for the search engines to find and crawl your site.  You don't need many for that (and you can also submit your site to Bing and Google for crawling through their Webmaster dashboards).

It is better to focus on acquiring links that create visibility for and/or drive traffic to your site without worrying about how the search engines might evaluate those links.  But given the toxic environment that link-obsessed marketers have created you may want to steer clear of any links that could be seen as influencing search results.

It is preferable to have people searching specifically for your site anyway, as that makes it much harder for people to compete with you in the search results.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 10 October 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:46 AM

Link building is a legitimate part of Website promotion;

Not really, promotion does not mean 'link building'.

Link "building" is ONLY for search engines, as users don't care how many links there are pointing to any particular URL. Certainly 'back links' are a by-product of promotion but that should NEVER be the sole aim of promotion, so promotion for the purposes of link building IS spam, plain and simple.

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 11:11 PM

Link building is a legitimate part of Website promotion;

Not really, promotion does not mean 'link building'.

Yes, REALLY, since I didn't say that promotion means link building. There is nothing wrong with building links to a Website.

Link building is NOT just for search engines; link building is for whatever purpose you intend.

If you're linking to your site from your social media profile, that is link building.

If you're Tweeting your latest articles, that is link building.

If you post a link to your articles on Facebook or Google Plus, that is link building.

If you start a second Website and link back to your first Website in any way, that is link building.

Whether you use "rel='nofollow'" or block the page with the link in "robots.txt" or just let the search engines do whatever they want with the link data is irrelevant.

Link building predates all attempts to manipulate search engines and the vast majority of link building continues to happen quite naturally and happily without taking search engines into account. That will never stop; nor should it.
  • Jill, torka, n0tSEO and 1 other like this

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:18 AM

But as always, it is NOT in the action, it is in the intent behind the action. The phrase 'link building' has unfortunately become synonymous with garnering links purely for the sake of it, with the intention of 'boosting' the ranking of the URL in Google's search results.

Promotion for pure promotion does not require a 'link' it ONLY needs a reference point, as you said yourself in a different thread, you do not need a link as your name is your link.

#10 n0tSEO

n0tSEO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

Since we are in the Link Building section under Search Engine Optimization, I can agree that "link building" as it was used until not long ago -- for SEO -- may trigger Google's spam filters, especially those with a face (human reviewers). So it's not a safe bet to gain popularity and position yourself in tSERPs.

But generally speaking, I agree with Michael Martinez--- link building, in its essence, is a marketing practice, not an SEO practice. Everybody, from personal bloggers to niche webmasters, do some link building at some point, be it through social media or via guest blogging (doesn't matter if the links are nofollow or text-only, you still get found).

I also find it fun that Matt Cutts refers to naturally earned links as "link building", so the term has more shades of meaning for each of us, it seems. :)

Anyway, nofollow link building (NOT spam building) is great for promotion and traffic purposes, and it's safe search engine wise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.