• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Tags In Wordpress ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

Hi there,

When I adding a tag to my post it creates at the bottom of the article a tag link.

When I click that tag it links always to

root.com/tag/the-name-of-the-tag/

I have to say, that this link goes into the Nirvana !

Because under that specific tag-link, there isn't any existing URL !

So it always ends in a 404 page.

Question:

If there is a tag, shouldn't that tag link to a valid URL related to that topic ?

I mean, in my opinion I should have another post with this tag URL, right ?

If so, how to do that within WordPress ?

Or did I get this totally wrong ?

Thanks for any little help !

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:40 PM

The page should be an index of all the posts using that tag.  Perhaps you have an SEO plugin that is killing the tag pages?

Be careful about using tags, though.  They can often serve the same purpose as categories.

Generally speaking I think tags work best when you keep them few and simple, such as for rare words (rather than common words) or names of people or entities you frequently write about.

Categories work best when they are about conceptual topics.

If you publish tag or category index pages make sure you only publish excerpts from your posts on those pages.  Otherwise you'll create duplicate content, which in small quantities is not a problem.  It's the default behavior on WordPress.Com, for example.  But for many Websites allowing the tag and category pages to replicate what is already on the post pages can sometimes lead to a less desired page being shown in search results,  You get more links pointing to the archive (author, category, date, tag) index pages than to individual articles, and so the search engines may decide to show those pages instead.

Which is only bad in the sense that if you have ten articles on an index page the visitor may become frustrated looking for the content the search engine said was there (and that content may eventually be pushed to another page in the archive index).

This is, of course, why so many people use SEO plugins (to Nofollow or Noindex the archive indexes) but these pages, when managed properly, can serve as great sitelinks in search results AND they also help crawlers find content on your site.

Hence, I tell people to keep the number of tags and categories as low as possible and to publish only excerpts on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.