• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Noindex Or Nofollow To Stop Promotional Banner Showing In Serp?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CommandPost

CommandPost

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:59 AM

Hello all,

My ecommerce store went 3 days ago online.

I have a promotional banner on my homepage that links to a category page with an active filter on. e.g. "www.example.com/1-men-hats/?selected_filters=type_tall-hats". ( I don't have a store in hats,.. just an example)

The problem is that Google is experimenting with this page in the SERP, putting this page on the second place on and off.

The category "1-men-hats" has already been indexed, so I don't want this page showing up in the SERP. I don't want customers, come to my website through that link. But I am also afraid that if I put a NoIndex on that link from the promotional banner, that I will lose some PageRank of the original category.

So what should I use? I already searched for it, but I just have not enough knowledge about this subject (and all SEO stuff, but I'm learning).

Thanks,

I.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:38 AM

It's new, ... ... so this IS what happens.

#3 CommandPost

CommandPost

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:01 AM

What do you mean, I have no clue.

How can I prevent Google using this page? I don't want this page to exist, but I also don't want to lose any PageRank on that category. If I will use PageRank, then I will keep it this way.

Thanks anyway for responding, I hope someone can solve this for me.

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:50 AM

There is nothing to "solve."

You can't make Google do anything.

If you don't want them to index a page, you have to include a robots.txt NOINDEX directive. But it may take time to remove the page from the index, and you can't control how quickly (or slowly that happens). And once a page is removed from the index. it won't help you any more, so you need to think carefully before you take this step.

Google decides which pages to rank and where. There is nothing you can to do control that. The best you can hope for is to influence what they do, and that will take time and a great deal of effort. It's not something where you can simply flip a switch, change one little bit of code and instantly Google will bend to your will. Frankly, with a brand new site you should be grateful you're getting any visibility at all...

Finally, I'm curious -- why do you not want customers to reach your site through that page? Any page on your site can/should be a valid landing page (with the exception of pages that are created strictly as landing pages for marketing campaigns such as email or pay-per-click -- and those should be excluded from spidering and indexing from the moment they're created). If your site is properly designed, it doesn't matter which page people use to enter the site. Once they land on one of your pages, your internal navigation and calls to action should lead them further into the site and help them find whatever they were looking for (assuming what they were looking for wasn't already on the page where they first landed).

--Torka :oldfogey:

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

The problem is that Google is experimenting with this page in the SERP, putting this page on the second place on and off.

It shows up in the SERP when? What do you have to do for it to show up?

#6 CommandPost

CommandPost

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

Many thanks Torka, I won't change anything then. The problem was the landing page, that page has a very specific filter activated. So I was thinking that customers -searching 'with' a specific keyword - wouldn't be that satisfied with that page.

Anyway, they can easily navigate to the homepage or to 2 main categories e.g. 'men hats' and 'women hats'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.