• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Multi-Language Site Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Djohnson

Djohnson

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:26 PM

I have a client that has two .com domains...one for english speakers(primary) and one for spanish speakers.

The spanish was manually translated, but is basically the same content. The client provides services in a major US city where he reaches out to both langauges, so they are both still US focused.

Should the English and Spanish both have an hreflang tag for their respective URLS?

Shoulld I canonical the Spanish to the English? I would think not, since I really want the search engines to index both pages depending on the audience.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:40 AM

Shoulld I canonical the Spanish to the English?

Why would you?

They are in different languages, canonical redirects are for use with content that is duplicated,  two sets of documents in two different languages CANNOT be duplicates.

Duplicate content is the same words in the same order at two different URIs

#3 Djohnson

Djohnson

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:12 AM

ChrisHirst - thanks for the update.  I thought that would be the case. Any idea on the hreflang?

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:43 AM

I'd recommend using hreflang. Most of the time, a set-up like this would involve publishing the English and Spanish content on the same domain, but I guess it doesn't matter that you're doing it on separate sites. However, when something like this is done on a single site, it's pretty standard that you provide the user the option to easily switch languages, and I think you should consider doing that too -- each Spanish page should link over to the equivalent English page and vice-versa.

That, along with the presence of the hreflang tags, is going to help to connect everything together, so it will feel like a single bilingual site to users and help you make sure everything important is indexed.

#5 Djohnson

Djohnson

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.