• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Using Twitter For Seo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 andyjv

andyjv

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:41 AM

Hi,

Quick question regarding Twitter for SEO...

Does anyone have any experience of how Twitter is measured for SEO? 

I know that people sharing your own website/content is great, but will having a high number of impressions from your own tweets be useful for ranking? Will a high engagement rate help? Will the quantity of favourites/retweets help?

Also, what's the best strategy for updating Twitter? Should you only tweet your own company pages or will sharing useful news in the industry and fun pieces for your followers be useful too? 

Thanks in advance. 

Andy

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

Does anyone have any experience of how Twitter is measured for SEO? 

You can't, nothing to do with Twitter IS SEO, it is promotion.

And you would measure that by monitoring the conversions from Twitter referrals.

but will having a high number of impressions from your own tweets be useful for ranking?

Nope.

Will a high engagement rate help? Will the quantity of favourites/retweets help?

No and no.

Also, what's the best strategy for updating Twitter?

Depends on what your "Twitter" audience are interested in.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:59 PM

I disagree with Chris on a conceptual level. Twitter will not affect your rankings on Google and probably not on Bing but Twitter is the second most active non-Google search service (based on sporadic data these companies publish) and you CAN optimize for Twitter search, both your Tweets and what you Tweet about.

Twitter is a legitimate source of traffic, although it's not yet possible (so far as I have been able to determine) to track clicks from Twitter search to a Website. You know you're getting Tweets into the search stream because people find you and occasionally reply to you (or retweet you).

I wish we had better metrics to work with but if you want to integrate Twitter into your search strategy then think of it as a search environment, not as a linking resource.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

I disagree with Chris on a conceptual level.

In actual fact we agree :) as I was not considering  "Twitter" as a potential "Search" entity in my reply, bad, bad Me!!!

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

It doesn't appear that the OP was asking about using Twitter as a search engine. More how tweets might affect Google search traffic (or not).

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:22 AM

Also, what's the best strategy for updating Twitter? Should you only tweet your own company pages or will sharing useful news in the industry and fun pieces for your followers be useful too? 

Depends. Useful for what? :)

Seriously, think of Twitter like a networking event. Are you going to spend a lot of time hanging out with or listening to "that guy" who only wants to talk about himself in one long sales pitch? Or are you going to be more inclined to gravitate toward the person who's actually engaged in conversations and who's sharing interesting information?

That's not so say you can't tweet when you post a new blog article or release a new product or whatever. Just that shouldn't be the only things you tweet.

Twitter isn't going to help you directly with Google, because Google doesn't own Twitter. Which means they don't have access to all the information Twitter has about whose posts you're actually reading and interacting with. But Twitter itself can be a decent marketing tool to increase awareness, position yourself as at thought leader, improve your branding, etc. all of which can increase your site traffic and (potentially) your sales... as long as you're not "that guy."

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.