• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Optimise For Different Locations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kentishdave

kentishdave

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

Hi,

I am starting an online business that offers photographic services. I work with clients all over Surrey, but noticed that search queries are often targeted by town (wedding photographer teddington / wedding photographer twickenham etc).

So my question is - what's the best way to show up in search results for each geographical search query? should I have an 'areas covered' page on my website, where i would list all the areas I cover linking to an optimised landing page for each (with unique content)?

Is that the best way?

Thanks in advance

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:36 AM

The search engines discourage putting lists of communities on your Website. You will find some sites that get away with this but many sites just end up being ignored.

I would recommend you create mini portfolios for each of the communities you want to promote your services to. Show people in those communities your photography skills by featuring professional-quality imagery from their surroundings. You only need about 3-5 images per community.

Write something about each picture. Make the page a photo essay.

And include your business name and contact information at the bottom of the essay.

#3 kentishdave

kentishdave

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

Thanks Michael,

Could each portfolio have their own page, so i could optimise accordingly as a landing page, or would that be considered bad practice?

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

would that be considered bad practice?

Providing you have enough genuine and useful content for each one, no it wouldn't, but if the content is mainly 'boiler plate' with only a few words changing each time, ... Yes it certainly would be

#5 kentishdave

kentishdave

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

thanks, that's really helpful.  I presume I should add each portfolio page in the sitemap?

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

If you want to, but it is not especially useful. If you want them to be found and used  they need links to them.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:46 AM

Include the photo essays in your site navigation. If you have more than 3 I would probably just create a little index page for the photo essays and include that in the main navigation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.