• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How To Avoid...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:34 AM

Hello Hello,

today.. I am standing for another riddle. This time it's about Keyword stuffing.

I try to create a super nice page that contains a directory. And the directory has one main topic that contains a word that is used over and over again.

For instance.. let me give you a simple example:

Let's say my topic would be about movies. In order to create categories, I would sort them like this:

- Action Movies
- Romantic Movies
- Horror Movies
- Romance Movies
- Bollywood Movies
- Movies for Children
- Movies for Family
- Funny Movies
- Classic Movies
- etc.

- etc.

as we can see... like the examples above.. the word movies is in every single category. Also, talking about the movies... the WORD movie and movies appears over and over again.

The funny part is.. I was writing an article and didn't pay any attention to a specific keyword. And I realized - uff... I used one specific word sooo many times - surprise for myself !  

and then... it hit me.. when I was reading lot's of SEO blogs.. people always talk about KEYWORD-STUFFING. And that you should not do it, cause search engines are allergic to that.

Soo.. I didn't pay any attention at all to keywords when writing the article.... just was focusing on my topic.. and after finishing ... I realized... ups.. Houston, do we have a problem here ?

Of course I could try to find as many synonyms for that specific word.. but .. I have to say.. it's similar to movies.. there aren't many.. movies, films, videos... also.. my word isn't an adjective.. so it's really hard to find other relevant words...

after finishing writing my article .. boom... I felt like.. hey, this might look like keyword stuffing.. checked the word density.. and boom. What a slap in my face.

Soo... now.. I am a bit confused.. and wanted to ask for everybody's opinion.

Does it mean: Writing digital content for the WEB has to be different since I have to face the fact, that .. I write for humans but the content that's been written is controlled by a machine ? Judged by a machine ? And distributed by a machine ?

Isn't it funny that the machine actually dictates and regulates what's best for us ? lol;

However, the rules are set !

My points are simple:

#1: Play by the rules

#2: serve your audience

#3: uff.. that's a tough one.. forget about search engines...

But again, let me underline.. I TRY to not think about search engines and their rules... and as soon as I write anything.. you see.. even after writing an article .. my thoughts are filled with all this SEO crap - what you can't do and what you should do, and about keyword stuffing, density, blablabla... uuaahhhh...

So finally.. even if I try to avoid thinking about google... I end up asking questions ... more or less related to the google rules...  

As you can see.. my question is again related to the rules and law of google:

Even if I didn't care about keywords when writing the article - afterwards I figured: Well, you better should have checked your density, shouldn't you ?

Soo.. again.. not sure if my example mentioned above would be a classic case saying: Hey dude, you did a brilliant job in terms of keyword-stuffing and your page is penalized.

Or any formula that says: Keyword Density >30% = boom - done - and you are out from the index ?

Interesting to hear your thoughts about this...  appreciate it !

Edited by reseo, 10 September 2014 - 12:54 AM.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

So, I'm not Google, but here's the way I look at it. If you're looking for some kine of hard-and-fast percentage (i.e. "exceed this and you're in trouble, less than this you'll always be OK), you're not going to find it. "Keyword density" itself is a bogus metric, because nobody can tell you what counts toward the base number of words. For instance, some people might include every word on the page, while others insist it should only be calculated using the words in the actual article, ignoring things like menus, footers and sidebars. Some people would exclude common words like "a" and "the" which generally occur frequently but are unlikely to trigger a penalty due to the nature of the words themselves.

Basically, you can decide what you think is the right way to measure it, or you can have a tool that makes the calculation based on its criteria, but you have no way of knowing how Google would calculate the number or if they even bother to calculate it in the first place. So no matter what you think the KW density might be, you have no way of knowing whether Google agrees (or if they even care).

Making worry over having a specific KWD fairly useless as optimization techniques go. ;)

That said, if you mention a single word more than 30% of the time in any given article, that's probably going to read like crap for the humans, nevermind the search engines. Personally, I can't think of any way you can have almost every third word the same and come up with something that's readable. But what would constitute an "acceptable" level of repetition is going to vary from one document to the next, depending on the purpose of the article, the style of writing, the context in which it's presented, the topic and the specific phrase.

Once you've written something, let it sit for a little bit. Then read it out loud. Does what you're reading sound stilted or repetitious to your ear? (If you have trouble listening and reading at the same time, try recording yourself, then listen to the recording.) If you notice yourself saying the same word or phrase over and over, others probably will as well. Time to haul out the Thesaurus, maybe. On the other hand, if it sounds good to your ear, it's probably OK.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

• reseo likes this

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

Keyword stuffing can fall into one of two categories:
  • Using any one word too many times
  • Using unrelated words close together, especially in large groups
What the search engines do is run a semantic analysis on all the documents they index. Web marketers publish only a tiny percentage of those documents, so most of what the search engines are indexing is written in what we could call "everyday speak" (that's a complex concept).

They identify normal patterns for how words are used together in "everyday speak" and then they compare all documents in their indexes to the patterns they have found. There may be hundreds or thousands of these patterns for each language they index.

There will be tolerances built in to the comparisons. So in one pattern you might be allowed 5% deviation and in another pattern you might be allowed a 50% deviation.

Identifying keyword stuffing thus comes down to finding things that don't match "everyday speak" where words are either overused, use together incongruently, or both.

So the best way to avoid keyword stuffing is to write naturally for people. You can publish lists of items but think of how much information a normal human being can handle in a list. The best lists are broken up into groups of words or phrases (most people can handle anywhere from 4 to 12 items in a visual group).

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

Go to http://www.barnesand...ooks/379003057/ and count how many time every document mentions the word "book" or "books".

#5 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:14 PM

Hmm.. well.. my major concern is that I want to create DIRECTORY PAGES !

Sooo... that Directory page is nothing else than a register.

This is awesome for the user. You get a quick overview and can list and sort things within that directory.

But of course.. the keyword output of that directory... is horrible... 

Why ? Because it collects and contains all the related topic.. so that word pops up all the time.

Let me try to give you another example.. like fishing...

Fly Fishing

Fishing for the Pro's

Net fishing

fishing, fishing, fishing, lol;

So the topics related regsiter pages.. are filled with it.

When I run a density check... holy cow... >30%...

And yes.. I agree... that wouldn't be a "normal" article.. because it's a register.. a directory....

Is there anything I would need to declare.. in SEO terms.. any rules ?

Where I have to tell the google bot: Hey, when you search my page.. let me tell you upfront.. don't get mad about my page..  and don't think I do keyword stuffing...

it's a freaking directory that helps my user to find their crap.... lol;

Don't know how else I could possible explain it... does that make any sense ?

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

Search Google for "Web directory" and look at the top twenty sites that come up for that expression. Their designs are all acceptable to Google.
  • Jill likes this

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:33 AM

When I run a density check... holy cow... >30%...

There is no such thing as "keyword density" in search engine "factors"

http://www.webmaster...keyword-density

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

Whatever truly looks right and good for real people will always be fine for Google.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.