• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Best Tool For Seeing Competitors Traffic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 andyjv

andyjv

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

Hello, 

Has anyone used any useful tools for seeing competitors traffic etc? 

I know of websites like Compete, but wondering if anyone has used anything and had success. 

Thanks in advance. 

Andy

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,675 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Without access to their server logs, there's no way to know your competitor's traffic. The best you can get from any tool is an educated guess (or uneducated guess, depending on the tool).

So the answer for me, personally, is no. I have not found anything truly useful for seeing my competitors' traffic. Not sure what "etc." you think an external tool is supposed to be able to show, but as with traffic, no tool has access to the competitors' internal server logs and data.

On the other hand, I've managed to build a fairly successful site without that knowledge, simply by focusing on my own prospects and customers and trying to do things that make my site better for them. I don't really have time to waste looking over my shoulder wondering what everybody else is up to.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

• Michael Martinez likes this

#3 andyjv

andyjv

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

Hi Torka, 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

With regards to "etc", apologies, I should have gone into more details. I was referring to things like top keyterms they receive traffic for, and similar data.

Thanks again for your reply. 

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,239 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

The answer is the same, ....

You can't.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,069 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

Ahrefs has some really good tools.

• Kroeriks likes this

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,239 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

Maybe, .. But when it comes down to traffic numbers, it is still only a "guess" at best and a complete fabrication the rest of the time.

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,641 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

Yup, and those guesses are based on knowing how many times a search is run per month (as estimated by the search engines), combined with scraped results for millions of searches. If the results indicate that a particular page is usually at #1 for a particular keyword phrase with some number of searches per month, then the software takes some standardized figure for what the CTR is for the top result and multiplies that by the searches per month to estimate how many clicks per month that result will get. It can't be very accurate, but I suppose it's potentially better than taking a wild guess. I don't use any of those tools, but I know people who swear by them.

As far as Compete is concerned, I've checked what they have to say about the main site I work on. During a period when our traffic was slowly rising, their data indicates a precipitous loss of traffic.

#8 andyjv

andyjv

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

Thanks to all the replies. You've been very helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!