• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Root Domain Description ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,956 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:40 AM

Can I just chime in and say. .... ....

You have already wasted FAR too much time on this, YOU cannot control what appears as the snippet.

Get over it and get a hobby!

#17 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,621 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:36 AM

Well... my opinion is a little different. I agree that you don't have absolute control over what's going to appear as a page's snippet, but you can create a default that's likely to be used in situations where there's no text on the page that the algo determines to be more relevant to the query. That's your meta description, and it gives you the opportunity to more or less advertise the page -- to give people a call to action and a reason to click through.

Similarly, you don't have complete control over what's going to display for your page's title. Google's always cut it off when it was longer than their limit, and their limit has been getting smaller in recent years. And for the past three years or so, they've chosen to completely replace the title when it suits them. But we're not telling people not to bother with the title tag, are we?

• Ron Carnell likes this

#18 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,956 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

I'm not saying don't bother with it, simply saying  don't prevaricate over getting it "perfect", because what you think is 'perfect' Google will probably consider otherwise, and there is the fact that it is only one URL on the entire website that should by and large is going to be THE most unfocussed document on the site.

The days of the 'home' page being THE FIRST THING all visitors should land on, has long since passed, it's simply not that important any more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!