• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Root Domain Description ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

Hello Hello,

I am using WordPress and I am not able to find out where I can change the Description of the root Domain which is visible in the SERP's.

Does anybody know how that works ?

Thx

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,007 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:33 PM

The description that is shown in Google is different for every search query. See my Meta Description article for more information. 

• reseo likes this

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

If you want to add a meta description to the page anyway, have a look at this thread in the WordPress support forum. Apparently, the answer is to add this code to header.php:

<?php if ( is_home() ) { ?>
<meta name="description" content="My Description" />
<?php } ?>

...obviously, replacing "My Description" with whatever text you want in the tag.

• reseo likes this

#4 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

@jill and qwerty:

That's awesome.. you are the best.. that was very helpful.

What I find so stupid.. I am currently using YOAST's plugin - and it should actually do that job. But for some reason, it looks like his latest version is buggy for the Meta Description.

What a pain... uff...

so I guess I am going to add the code to my page...

Can I simple write that code into my WordPress Code... I mean.. right next to the HTML stuff ?

#5 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

or.. if it's just HTML....

would that be fine:

<head>
<meta name="description" content="My test that should appear in the snippet SERPS">
</head>

ohh and the weired thing is.. if I am going to add that within my WordPress...  the code disappears... strange.. it doesn't save it.. but actually it should ... uuaahh...

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

WP is a content management system. It uses a database and PHP code to generate the HTML that renders pages in a browser. The only place you can directly edit HTML is in a post. To make changes to the templates that build the pages, you have to use PHP, like the code I posted. I haven't worked with WordPress in a few years (and I'm pretty much useless with PHP), but I believe header.php generates the code that goes in the <head> of a page. The code I posted, when header.php is doing its part to make the page, checks to see if that page is the home page of the site, and if it is, it writes the HTML to add a meta description tag containing the text you've hard-coded into it.

If the page isn't the home page, it won't add that tag, and I assume Yoast will do its bit and add the tag itself.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

if I am going to add that within my WordPress.

Within your WordPress .... What?

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,007 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

The yoast plugin provides the place to add a description for every page. Just use that. 

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

You really do not need the meta description.  I haven't messed with meta descriptions on any of my sites for years.  They are a waste of time.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,007 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

We've had this debate before. But IMO they are very important if you're posting to Facebook. (Not as important for search engines.)

#11 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Hmm.. well.. let me be more specific here:

YES, the Meta Description I am talking about is the one Jill mentioned in her post. It's the text that shows up in the SERPS. The description text for the page if you will.

Adding the code within my WordPress Page:

What do I mean with that ?

When you create a post or page, you do have the visual style plus the text option.

Like in Dreamweaver, you can see the final page, but you can also click on the source code to see what's actually behind the page.

However, WP doesn't show you the entire code for each page, you would need to open the Editor.

But WP gives you the possibility to switch to the "text" format, and there you can add simple HTML code.

That's why I was wondering, if I could simple add the Meta Description there... tried it, but didn't work.

I actually couldn't care less about the meta description - but I would like to know how and where I can change and influence the description that pops up when your page is indexed.

See below Jill's image:

sitelinks_hr.png

You can see the Meta description "Over the past 16 years.. etc."

And that's the text I want to control - I want to know what I have to do within my code to control the meta description for each page or URL if you will.

@Yoast Plugin:

Yes, you are right.. in the past yoasts free seo plugin took care for that.

However, I am still using it.. but it looks like his latest release is buggy and the meta description simple doesn't work.

I want to use as less plugins as possible, since there are always problems with releases, and bug fixes.

that's why I was curious how I could possible change it: old school, manual way.

By the way... I finally published an article, about BS SEO and Backlink building.

I just would like to know your thoughts about it.... really curious about... but again, I don't want to post any link of mine in this forum so there is no chance that someone thinks I spam.

Just in general, if you want to discuss other opinions, articles etc.

Hmm.. this question sounds a bit stupid I guess.. but where the heck should I post  it so it can be seen by all forum members ?

So the topic can be discussed ?

thx again and keep rocking !!!

#12 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

Google tends to decide for themselves what to display as the description. It probably isn't so much that Yoast is buggy, but that Google has simply taken it upon themselves to pick something else to show. At best you can try to influence their decision, but you definitely cannot control what they're going to display in the SERPs.

IMO, be thankful they're displaying your site at all and move on... ;)

Where the meta description helps is if you're sharing on social media -- on some sites (such as Facebook) they do tend to use the meta description as the snippet for the link you're sharing.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,007 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

And that's the text I want to control - I want to know what I have to do within my code to control the meta description for each page or URL if you will.

It's all in that article you're pointing to.

#14 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

yeah, thx... makes sense... 

@Jill:

Yep.. that's what I tried as well.. but couldn't actually use the code within the WP GUI. I am still using yoast's plugin, but it could be.. like torka mentioned... that google might have changed something and the plugin just simple doesn't work anymore because of that... 

anyways.. was just curious.. but I am actually fading away from ranking... since I figured, it's not really as important for traffic and the SEO world tends to set to much focus on the technical things... 

like I mentioned in my previous post, I just published on my blog an article - in which I point out my personal conclusion...  

would be really interested to hear all your overall opinion on that.... should I just copy and paste my entire article into a forums post without linking to my blog ?

or how can I communicate and share it with the forum members ?

thx 

#15 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

should I just copy and paste my entire article into a forums post without linking to my blog ?

or how can I communicate and share it with the forum members ?

thx 

No.  You don't want to republish your blog posts in a forum, especially not well-linked one like HighRankings that can scoop the story from you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!