• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Buying Relevant Expired Domains !

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:38 PM

What are all your thoughts about buying expired and relevant Domains and build upon them new content ?

Also... how would you search for expired relevant Domains ?

By relevant I mean... relevant for the specific field of activity.

For instance.. if I am doing Graphic Design I would be interested in finding expired Domains that are in the field of Graphic Design, or related categories.

Curious to hear all your thoughts !

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,020 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

Domain names are NOT 'relevant'!

The words in the hostname may be RELATED to the intended topic but they are NEVER relevant, not to users and certainly not to this century's search engines.

The domain name is expired for a reason and if it is an "Exact Match", then most likely it has been a 'crash and burn' victim. And as such will be probably useless even for sending emails from.

For instance.. if I am doing Graphic Design I would be interested in finding expired Domains that are in the field of Graphic Design, or related categories.

It is 2014 NOT 19 sodding 94, people do NOT make type-in "guesses" at site names any more.

Have a domain name that is YOUR BUSINESS NAME and promote it correctly. If you can get a name that is a shorter or "quirky" variation of the business name, ... ... Use it in your BRANDING and MARKETING not your "SEO".

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

If you're asking not about a domain name that in and of itself indicates that a site is about graphic design (in your example), but a domain name that (no matter what that name might be) previously hosted content about graphic design and has links and other citations indicating that it is/was a good source for information about that topic, then yes, there can be some benefit to it. You can either take over that site and continue to publish information about that topic there, or just set up 301 redirects from URLs on that domain to URLs on another domain that publishes content about the same topic. Basically, you'd be getting the algorithmic benefit of those links that someone else earned.

But you know what? There's a real difference between buying a business and buying a domain name. If people felt that ABC Graphic Design was a great company and deserved attention, they told people about it and linked to it. If I take over ABC Graphic Design, even if I make changes to the company to make it my own, as long as I'm transparent about what those changes are, I'm carrying on the business. People can decide for themselves whether I've ruined the company or if it's still worth recommending.

If I just buy the domain name in order to benefit from whatever's out there pointing to it, that's kind of deceptive, in my opinion. I'm taking credit for recommendations I did nothing to earn and probably don't deserve. I didn't buy the business, so I certainly don't deserve the reputation that business built. The business doesn't exist anymore. Or maybe the business still exists, but they don't have a web presence anymore. But I'm still claiming that those links are about me. Basically, I'm self-serving scum, trying to take credit for someone else's work.

And I may not realize it, but maybe ABC Graphic Design wasn't quite as squeaky clean as I thought. While I think I'm going to get the benefit of the links they earned, I might in fact be exposing my business to the toxic links they bought, and instead of getting credit for something I didn't earn, I'm about to get penalized for some nasty business I had nothing to do with.

If you're going to buy a domain name, do your due diligence to make sure you're not buying something dangerous, but only buy it because it's a name you like and can brand, not because of what it previously hosted or because it contains keywords.

• Jill, torka and reseo like this

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

I have sometimes acquired previously used domains and built similar content on them.  It's an okay practice but in the end you're expected to provide your own unique value.  If you're asking whether this is a viable short-cut, it's more of a coin toss and one that can land badly for you if you don't move quickly to distinguish the new site from the previous one.

• reseo likes this

#5 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

Yeah thx.. makes all sense.. I was actually not just focusing on the Domain name alone - also on it's content - my bad, forgot to mention it.

But yeah, also makes sense... over years to maintain a domain.. it might help you at the beginning - but could also lead into more problems

Just still don't get it why flipping Domains is just a booming business.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,020 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:57 AM

Because the gullible believe the "experts".

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,625 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

Exact-match domains, with or without hyphens, used to have a bit of an unfair advantage in Google's algo. If you owned buy-cheap-lederhosen.com, you had a pretty good shot at ranking well on searches for [buy cheap lederhosen]. It probably didn't help much with searches like [discount lederhosen], but hey, you can't have everything. In any case, Google tweaked the algo a couple of years ago so that sites that were ranking pretty much exclusively on the basis of their domain names don't anymore.

And people still buy expired domains that have a decent number of links pointing to them. Just because I don't approve of the practice doesn't mean it can't work -- for the time being.

I get emails at work now and then from people who've been offered some domain name (sometimes for hundreds of thousands of dollars) and asking if I thought it was worth buying, and while my opinion is always that, unless we have some specific plan for some unique content that could be published to this domain and that the name would help us in branding that content, this is a bad idea, I do the necessary research to give them some data points to back up that opinion: I look at what used to be published there, how long it's been dead, how many links it has, how old they are, where they're coming from, etc.

I have yet to tell them that I think a given domain name is worth buying.

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Just still don't get it why flipping Domains is just a booming business.

It depends on who is doing the business.  If you can build up legitimate TRAFFIC for a Website such that it promises to be a good revenue-producing site, someone may be interested in buying it.  That happens all the time.

Buying developed Websites for LINKS is very different from buying developed Websites that produce REVENUE.  The guy who wants to make money is taking a risk because he may be buying a domain that just got penalized or which is on the downside of a dying query base.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 09 August 2014 - 12:03 AM.

• n0tSEO likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!