• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Duplicate Content?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IGNACIO

IGNACIO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

Hello,

I would appreciate any help about this topic.

Can I have same content in two different domains? Need to know which one works better.

If this is not recommended, I will change the domain name that I have now, and see how the new name works using the same content.

In this scenario, what do I have to do so the process won't hurt my google positions?

Thanks very much,

Ignacio

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,960 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

Can I have same content in two different domains?

Of course you can, they are your domains, you can do ANYTHING you want with them.

Need to know which one works better.

Neither will.

Edited by chrishirst, 28 July 2014 - 04:33 PM.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,622 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

You can declare one version as canonical, but then you'll be influencing any test to see which one works better. If you just publish both versions without canonicalizing, the search engines will canonicalize themselves. That is, they'll decide which version to count and which to ignore, which I guess will answer your question.

Are you asking about putting an entire site on two different domains, or experimenting to find out which of two different sites is the better place to publish one particular piece of content? If we're talking about two copies of the same site on two domains with no history or links, the whole thing might end up being random and telling you nothing. The search engine will likely treat the one it finds first as the canonical version. And if that's the case, it's probably a waste of time to test this. Just pick the domain name that you feel is going to be easier to brand for the kind of content you plan to publish and forget about the other.

And if we're talking about two sites that don't have the same history, one of them is likely to be stronger than the other based on some signal or signals the search engines look at, and it's going to win your little contest, but not because it somehow works better for this content.

If this is about deciding which of two different sites should get this one piece of content, I think you're better off thinking about the different audiences (assuming there's some difference between the audiences) and basing your decision on that rather than something algorithmic, in part because if you leave something like that up to the search engines, they're likely to pick the site with a stronger information architecture -- the one that's structured and linked in such a way that the new page is going to start off a little stronger.

In any case, once you decide which version to keep, get rid of the other and set up 301 redirects from it to the winner.

On edit, long story short... what Chris said.

Edited by qwerty, 28 July 2014 - 04:34 PM.

• Jill likes this

#4 IGNACIO

IGNACIO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:09 AM

Thanks very much for these helpful answers.

The branded domain that I have is a .com and has been on the web for many years. The new one is a .us, targeting this market and with two keywords in the name.

What about if I create a brand new Landing page for my .us domain with Navigation links that take people to my actual site? Is this tactic OK for google and bing? Is just a site that has links to another and both sites talk about the same service.

Thanks again,

Ignacio

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,960 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:00 AM

The new one is a .us, targeting this market and with two keywords in the name.

You are wasting your time and money if you still think that a domain name is of any use for "rankings"

What about if I create a brand new Landing page for my .us domain with Navigation links that take people to my actual site? Is this tactic OK for google and bing? Is just a site that has links to another and both sites talk about the same service.

Wrong question. You SHOULD be asking if it is OK for PEOPLE.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

Use the old domain and redirect the new one to it. 

#7 IGNACIO

IGNACIO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Thanks Jill,

Ignacio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!