• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Duplicate Google Maps Entries

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JayMcDonald

JayMcDonald

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

I have a client with a local service business (plumbing) and somewhere along the way, some Yellow Pages people set some things up for him as a value add to his ad purchase. Now, he has conflicting Google Maps entries. The first one comes up with the business name spelled as "Mister Plumber", and shows his street address. The second comes up with the name spelled as "Mr Plumber", and shows his PO box. I notice that when my Maps UI shows the area, and I do a search for "plumber" it's the listing with the street address that comes up first. I have to zoom in a good bit before the one with the PO box shows.

I think we need to consolidate these, not have it split, right? And I'm assuming we should consolidate on the one with the street address - not because it's a storefront (it's his home), but because it has a better ranking already. We'll want to change the name to "Mr. Plumber" (or "Mr Plumber" like the other one is? I imagine most people doing searches won't bother with the period. Does that matter?).

How do I consolidate the two listings on the street address?

Is the street address giving better rankings than the PO box because it's a street address?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

I think we need to consolidate these, not have it split, right?

Why??

Is the street address giving better rankings than the PO box because it's a street address?

Who knows? Who cares? Are YOU going to use Google when you need to speak to your client,  because only YOU see those 'rankings", it unlikely that anybody else does.

#3 JayMcDonald

JayMcDonald

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

Having two different pins on the map just seems redundant and confusing for people. Unlike multiple results on the SERPs, multiple pins on a map for the same business just seems dissonant.

Well, the "ranking" I'm talking about is really just the fact that the one shows up when I am pretty zoomed out. I assume it is deemed more important. The other one only shows when you zoom in more. I figure that people are more likely to see the first one, so that's the one to use.

Edited by JayMcDonald, 22 July 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

It probably would be good to consolidate them, but good luck with that!

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

Having two different pins on the map just seems redundant and confusing for people

How do you KNOW that other people see two 'pins'? Just because you do means nothing at all. Your results are already skewed because you ARE doing this kind of search queries.

I assume it is deemed more important.

"Assuming" anything from search query results is a perfect way to get it wrong.

I figure that people are more likely to see the first one, so that's the one to use.

Until you can definitively and definitely  prove that is the case, you should leave it well alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.