• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Multi-Page Index Vs. Individual Posts Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jp6212

jp6212

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

A few months ago, my contractor changed my blog publishing from dynamic to static and converted my dynamic index page into a multi-page static index ... but he only! kept 20 index' sub-pages, with 10 posts on each. His motivation to keeping 20 only was that it takes too long to rebuilt all 600 + sub-pages (as I have over 6K blog posts), and no one would be paging beyond 10-20 pages anyway. While I may agree with him from the usability point of of view, I've now realized that he effectively took out the other 580 sub-pages of the index. All of those sub-pages contain internal links to individual blog posts, and these links are gone now. 

I suspect that limiting the Index to 20 static sub-pages only has greatly affected my traffic as I've seen it sliding ever since.  I've also noticed (- in Google Webmaster tools) that the number of indexed pages has reduced by around 40% since, but because it happened gradually I didn't notice it right away.

So it looks to me that I lost blog posts that were previousely indexed by Google and I lost links to those posts? I wonder if going back to dynamic index will get my traffic back? The only other place where these blog posts are linked in from the Archive page. But it may not be sufficient to get ranked, I guess, vs being linked from the Index page ...?

Am I right in my assumptions? What would you recommend to resolve this?

Thank you,
Joe

Edited by Jill, 19 July 2014 - 03:50 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,099 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

A: loosing "rankings"  means very little, however loosing traffic and conversions DOES mean that the changes have adversely affected the site.

The solution?

Put it back to how it was and tell the "contractor" that he knows sweet FA about human behaviour.

Usability means making it easier for the ENTIRE site to be used by ALL manner of visitors, NOT reducing the options that people have to browse the entire website.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

You are correct in your assumptions. It's not a great idea to remove content in most cases, unless it's inaccurate.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,626 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

Does the contractor have a good explanation for why he did this? For example, can he demonstrate that the pages he removed were getting no traffic, and were keeping more important pages from being crawled and indexed? If so, that might have been a good reason for him to recommend to you that the pages be deleted, and you could have considered his advice and made a decision, but if he didn't so much as discuss it with you before he did it, you need to rein him in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!