• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Where To Send Press News Releases And Video News Releases ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Wikipedia is talking about Press News Releases and Video News Releases.

If I would like to send out news .. are there any services you would recommend ?

Or do you think that's totally a waste of time for generating buzz and trying to get more traffic ?

I actually have never seen any video news release directories.. hmm...

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,073 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Wikipedia is talking about Press News Releases and Video News Releases.

What do you mean by that? 

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:23 AM

Or do you think that's totally a waste of time for generating buzz and trying to get more traffic ?

As an ex-journalist, let me tell you this. If your aim is to get your company or product written about in news media (newpapers, magazines, professional blogs, etc), posting a press release with one of these PR-sharing websites won't do you any good at all.

Most journalists are inundated with press releases. Most releases wil get at most a quick glance before being discarded. A journalist is unlikely to read a release in detail unless it is from a company or an agency that he knows and trusts. The idea of a journalist actually going to a website to look for releases is ludicrous.

As for video news releases, this seems even more absurd. When I worked as a journalist, the concept was unknown, so I can't comment with certainty. But the idea of any journo taking the time to sit through a video seems highly implausible.

So, to answer your question: No, posting PRs on line won't give "more buzz", nor will it generate traffic. And it certainly won't get you any exposure in the media.

Mike

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,245 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Isn't that exactly what a 'blog' should be used for????

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,073 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

But what does any of that have to do with Wikipedia?

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,245 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

But what does any of that have to do with Wikipedia?

This http://en.wikipedia....i/Press_release would be my guess.

@reseo  You realise that most Wikipedia articles are written by people like yourself, with one exemption, they  have also "read something on the Internet", BUT then think they know everything about the topic so feel 'qualified' to write a seemingly authoritative 'article'  on Wikipedia.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

So, to answer your question: No, posting PRs on line won't give "more buzz", nor will it generate traffic. And it certainly won't get you any exposure in the media.

Mike

I agree about press release sites providing little or no exposure to the media, but non-journalists DO read press releases that appear in news search results and they DO click through to the Websites that are mentioned in them. I know that to be true from having run many press release campaigns purely for the click-through traffic.

However, people are picky about what they click on. Either your press release tells a compelling story or it doesn't. There is no in-between.

If the press releases are in themselves interesting and informative and if they are published on sites that are indexed in news search then, YES, they can and will drive some traffic to a Website.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 20 July 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#8 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:02 AM

I agree about press release sites providing little or no exposure to the media, but non-journalists DO read press releases that appear in news search results and they DO click through to the Websites that are mentioned in them.

Yes, I don't disagree with that. It's why I qualified my advice by saying "If your aim is to get your company or product written about in news media ...."

Mike

#9 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Hi,

yeah... I meant press and news releases... exactly what chris pointed out in his link.

well.. in general I would say it's always that specific question if it's useful or not - but heck, is simple trying wrong ?

plus.. I know I know.. backlinks should build naturally, if your content is great, people are linking back to your site.

But I also have to say, if you don't buzz anything, and if you just sit on your blog, if you don't reach out to others, if you don't network, and if you don't try to get exposure... the chances that you will stay on your lonely island forever... is pretty high... isn't it ?

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

plus.. I know I know.. backlinks should build naturally, if your content is great, people are linking back to your site.
But I also have to say, if you don't buzz anything, and if you just sit on your blog, if you don't reach out to others, if you don't network, and if you don't try to get exposure... the chances that you will stay on your lonely island forever... is pretty high... isn't it ?

If you don't do anything different from whatever any average, typical opportunistic, keyword-researching, link anchor text, by the-spammy-book marketer is doing, yes, you will get nowhere.

Successful search engine optimization begins with giving the search engines something different to recommend to their visitors. People who don't do that fall back on link spamming and then they get penalties and then they curse Google for being anti-business, etc.

It's all about differentiating yourself from the field. Being different is the most important part of search engine optimization.
  • Jill likes this

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,245 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

But I also have to say, if you don't buzz anything, and if you just sit on your blog, if you don't reach out to others, if you don't network, and if you don't try to get exposure..

So you're not actually interested in really marketing or promoting anything then, you just hope  Google will do it for you.

The simple fact is if YOU don't get off your arse and promote your own URLs .... .... do NOT expect somebody else to do it for you!

#12 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

@chris:

nope.. I am not hoping to get from google or anybody else anything...  and google will not do anything for you...  why should they ?

@promoting:

right... promoting is creating buzz, that's exactly what I was writing and what I mean by that. If you sit on your lonely island only, and if YOU don't do anything - don't expect anything.

that's why, create buzz, promote your own URL's...  

not sure how you understood it... lol;

#13 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,245 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:26 AM

Sorry, yeah, I mis-scanned it

(Hey guys, surely you don't actually read every thing :) )

Yep like most things in life ... You're on your own pal!

As Tonto said to the Lone Ranger ....

What do you mean by "we" Pale Face!

• reseo likes this

#14 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

haha... you rock Chris !!!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic