• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Why Is Youtube So Strong ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

I am testing my new page I started about a month ago. I see that I do have 7 youtube videos in front of me..  the content of these videos is just "crap" - lol;

and not even relevant. 

Of course youtube is owned by google, and it kinda makes sense that youtube videos might get some more "weight" as vimeo videos, etc.

However... isn't it crazy when google talks about good content and then you experience something like that ?

And what do you usually do if you compete against youtube videos ?

What are your thoughts about youtube videos and ranking in general ?

Curious to hear all your opinions !

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,163 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

It's not treated as 'special' by Google because they own it, that's just deductive reasoning getting it wrong as it pretty much always is.

It is treated as 'special' because, untold MILLIONS of people link to practically EVERY SINGLE URL on the site (not just the 'home' page) without being asked to.

#3 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

yeah.. so doesn't lead that in near future in absolute market-monopoly ? I would say it's already happening.. the domination is so strong.. I mean.. quite frankly who can beat youtube these days ? as a video platform ... I would say they already have the absolute market domination and they created an online monopoly presence.... 

just really scary when you think about the board game.. we all know how it usually ends.. don't we ?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,036 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

Don't forget that whatever you're seeing in the SERP is simply whatever YOU ARE seeing in the SERP.

Doesn't mean everyone else does. 

#5 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

well.. if someone types in youtube... doesn't matter where you live, doesn't matter what language, doesn't matter what cookies and interests you have... doesn't matter about your local area... mobile or desktop...  

- what will pop up as #1 ? --> everyone else does.....  :shades:

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

You're assuming that just because YouTube ranks first for "youtube" almost universally that almost anything else on YouTube probably will. It doesn't work that way.

For one thing, Google is tracking people's search history (even when they are logged out). It will adjust its search results based on what people are searching for. That makes it really hard to replicate search results you saw a few days or a few weeks ago for queries you don't monitor regularly.

To see true vanilla Google search you have to clear your browser cookies and cache frequently. Maybe there is an extension or plugin you can use in your favorite browser to keep Google from setting cookies on your computer but they can still track you based on your IP address, operating system, and browser.

#7 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

@Michael:

nope..  it's clear of course that youtube is not popping as #1 for every single topic in the world. But the brand name they created for sure is so strong..  if your search query is youtube - boom. Youtube will dominate everywhere and will always show p as #1. The search term can be seen as a keyword - doesn't really matter.

or you simple use Tor ...  but anyways..  I can see that going nuts for ranking positions doesn't make any sense.. in my opinion... but roughly to know if you are showing up somewhere topic related... I guess even if you are not a ranking fanatic.. everyone does it somehow and will look it up... so it is with analytics... if you just focus on your page... well... ok, nothing wrong with that I would say... but again, if you don't reach out, if you don't connect, if you don't try to create buzz...  good luck...

and actually, in my opinion.. does it really matter how you do it ?

Or let me re-phrase, what kind of path and direction you go to create buzz ?

I mean... regardless if you have a blog, a website, a youtube channel, or if you are on facebook & co.

You do it, because you want audience - for multiple reasons.

- to either drive your business

- or to become just an authority

- or to get something useful out of it

otherwise, it doesn't make any sense...  or does it ?

If all of this is wrong, I wonder why millions of people create a blog - for themself ?

They write, and read their own articles and have fun - haha... 

so if you use backlink strategies, or if you use social media, forums, magazines, pictures, videos... at the end it all boils down to one thing.. you want attention, buzz and you want people that follow you, share your same opinions and think you know something or more that might be beneficial for themself. Most of the time you want money, but many times also just success, or people who follow you, who believe in you and who have the same mindset. 

When we look at a few internet marketing guys which are posting their income public - why are they creating so much buzz ?

right... people follow, because they believe he or she is right - and they believe they can do the same. While 99.5% are failing the guys are selling everything...  hosting packages, e-books, just all affiliate stuff...  that's their market... what many people do not understand....

The forum is also called HIGHRANKINGS....  so you can see, the term and word ranking is in it - makes sense that people who are active here are looking for high rankings, right ?

However you achieve it - I can't even blame black hat guys for what they do - I personally just think I rather spend my time with something else then worrying all the time where you rank, which keywords, etc...

But again.. roughly knowing you are indexed, and from time to time getting some feeback where you stand with your efforts...  it's just some feedback I want to know... 

it's the same when I make a flight.. I want to know where I am, how long it will take, and if I might fly into the russian territory and get shot down with a rocket... 

and so it is with ranking....

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,163 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:59 AM

When we look at a few internet marketing guys which are posting their income public - why are they creating so much buzz ?

Because they KNOW their audience and KNOW how to reach them or motivate them. It's known as "Playing to the crowd" in theatrical terms.

Like ANY great comedian, they already know what will make people re-tell their jokes, whether it's George Carlin saying "yeah I'm now an old f*ck" or Bill Maher with "But I'm not wrong", they hit 'the right spot' with their audience and get them talking or thinking, the best comics are social commentators, not 'joke' tellers.

Same with Search Marketing, you can't MAKE people 'like' your "stuff", or link to to it, or tell their "friends" (real or imaginary Face Book 'friends'), and pass it on at forums, blogs etc. If your stuff doesn't hit the right spot with them in the first place.

It's all in the writing style, if you write your material in a way that it won't look out of place on Wikipedia, nobody is going to get "fired up" by it. And if you don't have the imagination to be interesting, .... .... Hire somebody who has.

Oh and by the way, HighRankings was named BEFORE the Google dance ended, when rankings COULD be relied on for three weeks out of every four.

• reseo likes this

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

and actually, in my opinion.. does it really matter how you do it ?

Or let me re-phrase, what kind of path and direction you go to create buzz ?

So, first of all, let me point out that past pathways to success no longer work because that territory has been staked out.

Duplicating others' results by following in their footsteps becomes less and less productive as more people try to duplicate that success. Now, if you're willing to live with limited success, that can still be a good way to build a business. You just won't ever get to the top of your field.

Second, YouTube didn't create buzz. It stole content from the film and music industry and allowed people to view/listen to that content for free. They built up their audience gradually but it grew faster than most Websites' traffic because they took a chance and did something illegal that satisfied a huge amount of demand.

The founders of YouTube were able to sell out to Google before they had to settle the legal consequences of their activity; Google equity holders eventually paid the bill (and it was HUGE). So all that audience building did not come for free, it was very expensive, but they were able to defer the cost of paying the bill long enough to pass it on to someone else.

Third, you have to pick realistic metrics for measuring success. Most black hat marketers fail to earn a living from their black hat activities. The ones who do make money very quickly dwindle off from the top guys who make a lot to the small stratum of guys who almost make enough.

So even in black hat marketing following in the footsteps of others is not very productive unless you're willing to live with limited success. And the black hats can be very vicious to each other. It's not all back-slapping brotherly love n that world.

Third, what makes a new Website successful isn't buzz. Buzz is a by-product of success. What makes a new Website successful is that it does something different. It could be doing what everyone else is doing except for one thing, and it is that one thing that makes a big enough difference that it propels that site into success.

A lot of people try to figure out what the one new difference should be and fail. So for every success you see on the Web there are many other failures. It takes a lot of experimentation by a lot of people to keep the Internet economy going the way it is.

One of the holy mantras of Internet marketing is a variation on "plan for failure and build success from that". In other words, don't put all your eggs into one basket unless you either have no fear or you have a great parachute (fallback plan).
  • reseo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!