• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Directories ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:42 PM

I read that it's important for ranking that your page is in as many directories as possible.

I tried since years to get my personal Webpage into Dmoz. No luck.

I think in general I've never been able to get one of my sites into Dmoz.

Didn't try other ones since I don't even know other directories.

However, are these directories still important? Do u recommend getting listed ? And if so, what are your top 10 directories ?

Thx for any little help !

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,717 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

I read that it's important for ranking that your page is in as many directories as possible.

You're still reading the wrong places or reading information that was written in 1995.

I tried since years to get my personal Webpage into Dmoz. No luck.

I think in general I've never been able to get one of my sites into Dmoz.

Just as a reminder ... It is 2014, not 1994.

However, are these directories still important? Do u recommend getting listed ? And if so, what are your top 10 directories ?

They never have been.

No or possibly,  (if you know of a business SPECIFIC directory that is actually used by people.)

There isn't even FIVE worth talking about never mind ten.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,586 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

You want to know what those thousands of directories are at least potentially good for these days? People use them for negative SEO attacks. We can debate whether such attacks work or not, but there's no debating whether people try to hurt sites by getting garbage "SEO friendly" directories to link to their competitors.

One of my sites has a page that's been doing better and better for the past half year or so: month over month, its organic search traffic for both its targeted head term and a wide variety of long-tail searches have been growing steadily. I track the page's backlink count in Majestic every week, and it's been holding at about 100 for months. Yesterday, I noticed that that number has more than doubled, so I took a look at some of the new links, and they're all junk directories, using the same anchor text. The listings I checked even share a set of three backslashes where they needed to escape an apostrophe in the text they grabbed from our meta description tag.

I didn't submit to them. I don't know who did, but I don't think for a second that whoever did this intended to help me.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Stop reading old advice.

#5 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

very interesting.. so the conclusion is: forget directories, they are not good at all. Forget DMOZ and dont' worry about that crap, right ?

@HR10:

wow.. never thought about that .. I read about negative seo.. but wasn't actually sure what that is .... I get it.. seems to be easier bringing a page down with crappy links ... this is cruel... 

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,586 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

You don't have to completely forget about directories. Just forget about the piles of them that were created to make SEOs' jobs easier back when many (probably most) SEOs saw their jobs as getting as many links as possible. We're just suggesting you forget about.... oh.... 99.999% of them.

As Chris pointed out, if you can find a high quality niche directory (one that specializes in a particular business type or locality) that clearly is run by people who are careful about what sites they're willing to list -- something you would actually find useful if you were searching for the kind of site it lists -- then go for it, even if you have to join an organization to be listed. Why? Because you could actually get targeted traffic from such a listing. You might even get a positive ROI out of it. And there's always the outside chance that you'll get some algorithmic benefit in the search engines on top of that, because that's the type of directory they still (I believe) tell you is worth being listed in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!