• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

If Page Speed Is Good, Are Pagespeed Insights A Problem?

Best Answer Michael Martinez , 22 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

It does not sound like you need to be concerned about page speed as far as search engine optimization is concerned. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Andy1342

Andy1342

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

In webmaster tools > other resources > pagespeed insights I'm getting 62/100 for my wordpress.org site

So, I cached the site. I tried several plugins, they all reduced actual load time per gtmetrix from around 3.5 seconds to around 1.6 seconds or less, which I reckon is a good result. (Looks good to me - is it???)

But pagespeed insights is only marginally better, from 62/100 to 66/100 (though this is at least out of the red zone and into the amber). I tried a few other plugins which specifically mention PageSpeed Insights, no result there either.

SEO-wise, does pagespeed matter if the actual page speed is good? If so what can I do about it, given that all the main caching plugins either have no effect or (W3-total-cache) crash the site?

Many thanks

Andy

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,106 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:57 AM

And do you know the parameters of the comparative scoring?

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

Google says page speed only matters for about 1% of Websites. If you're clocking above 50 by their measurements any improvements you make won't affect their assessment of your site (according to what we know of their algorithms today).

However, if you are dissatisfied with your page speed/rendering times then continue to optimize performance and create a better user experience.
  • Jill likes this

#4 Andy1342

Andy1342

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:22 AM

And do you know the parameters of the comparative scoring?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but if you mean what google doesn't like, it is as follows. It has dropped back down into the red zone, 62/100. These are all the same after setting up the successful caching plugin. I just feel uncomfortable getting any red light from google, and from 62 down to 50 is not a long way to go.

I just re-tested the site and got a mere .72 secs load speed on gtmetrix.

Here's what PageSpeed doesn't ike

Should Fix:
Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
Enable compression
Consider Fixing:
Leverage browser caching
Optimize images
Minify JavaScript
Minify CSS
Minify HTML

Google says page speed only matters for about 1% of Websites. If you're clocking above 50 by their measurements any improvements you make won't affect their assessment of your site (according to what we know of their algorithms today).

Thank you, that is useful information. It's just that, as it says in my response to chrishirst, (a) 62 down to 50 is not a very big margin (B) it just seems basic to not have any metric in the red zone, and my site is now back in the red zone even with the caching and even with the a .72 second load time.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,106 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

it just seems basic to not have any metric in the red zone

Even when it most likely means nothing at all for anything important and you have no idea what your URLs are being measured against??

Me?? I prefer to work with something tangible, so, clear your browser cache, load up a URL on your site (not JUST the 'home' page) ... and if YOU get a little tetchy waiting for something to happen ... THEN you have something worth 'fixing'.

Until then STOP  'fiddling' about with meaningless imaginary 'problems' and do something  useful instead!!

• Jill and SEOEasily like this

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,106 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:35 AM

So, the MoZ "experts" have a new title of "Data Scientists"??

http://www.searcheng...es-how-site.php

And they unleash yet MORE drivel on an already garbage laden world.

Just one example of their lame-brained deductive reasoning

Fast websites tend to have visitors who are more likely to click on ads and purchase products.

Nope! Wrong way around chaps ....

Companies who's websites make them a lot of money have the capital to run multiple servers and content delivery networks that gets the website NEARER to the customer.

Though of course saying that won't sell many "SEO Toolkits"

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

In my experience, attractive, user-friendly websites with compelling content and strong calls to action -- which are also offering stuff that people want at a price they can afford -- tend to have visitors who are more likely to purchase products.

Can I call myself a "data scientist" too?

:D

--Torka :oldfogey:

#8 Andy1342

Andy1342

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

Ummm ... should I take that as a "no" to my original question?

Even when it most likely means nothing at all for anything important and you have no idea what your URLs are being measured against??

Me?? I prefer to work with something tangible, so, clear your browser cache, load up a URL on your site (not JUST the 'home' page) ... and if YOU get a little tetchy waiting for something to happen ... THEN you have something worth 'fixing'.

Until then STOP  'fiddling' about with meaningless imaginary 'problems' and do something  useful instead!!

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:45 PM   Best Answer

It does not sound like you need to be concerned about page speed as far as search engine optimization is concerned.

#10 Andy1342

Andy1342

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

It does not sound like you need to be concerned about page speed as far as search engine optimization is concerned.

Dear Michael,

Thank you!

Kind regards

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!