• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Mobile & Desktop Indexation Problems?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AussieRob

AussieRob

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hi, 

I have a client that runs a property management business. Their site is built on wordpress. However, the template is not responsive, so they installed the WPtouch plugin to create a mobile-friendly version of the site. 

But, when I do a site:domain.com search both the desktop and mobile versions of the rental listings page show up in the SERPs as below:

domain.com/mobile/rental-listings/

domain.com//idaho-falls-rentals/

Is it bad if both URLs are showing in the SERPs? Duplicate content issue? If so, how do I correct this?

Thanks!

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,622 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

If a given desktop page has an equivalent mobile page and you want the search engines to recognize that relationship, both to provide a better user experience and to avoid issues with duplicate content, there's meta data you can add to the pages (or to an XML sitemap) that will do the trick.

Using your examples of the mobile page at domain.com/mobile/rental-listings/ and the desktop page at domain.com//idaho-falls-rentals/, you'd put this tag in the <head> of the mobile page:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://domain.com/idaho-falls-rentals/" >

and this in the desktop page:

<link rel="alternate" media="only screen and (max-width: 640px)"
      href="http://domain.com/mobile/rental-listings/" >

You'll also want your server to sniff for mobile user-agents requesting desktop URLs and 302 redirect them to the equivalent mobile URLs.

More info at https://developers.g...e-sites/details

Edited by qwerty, 09 July 2014 - 08:49 AM.

• Jill likes this

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,960 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

It's very very simple , two URLs returning the same content is NOT the end of the world, never has been never will be, when it gets twenty, fifty or more THEN it can become a problem

The 'mobile version' will probably NOT be filtered out of the results if the end user is apparently searching from a 'mobile' device, the 'mobile' version MIGHT be 'filtered if the end user query is not mobile related.

Note the use of filtered and MIGHT.

Google is not against duplicated content per se. It is duplicated content that is DELIBERATE AND BLATANT SPAMMING. Having a 'mobile' website and a 'normal' website delivered from the SAME PARENT DOMAIN is good practice and Google is aware of that.

Having the same content on several disparate "domain names" because you want to get more than one spot in the results IS spamming and THAT is the practice that gets a penalty.

#4 AussieRob

AussieRob

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Hey Chris, 

Thanks for the feedback. 

I just wasn't sure how the indexing worked across mobile and desktop - if a mobile URL should also be showing in the SERPs when searching on a desktop device. 

I figured that a mobile version of a page would be fine. Just wanted to make sure. The page in question gets ~40% of its traffic from mobile devices. 

What are your thoughts on the suggestion made by Qwerty?

Thanks!

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,960 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

They do what they are intended to do,  inform search engines of what YOU think they should be showing to users for that particular URL. However it is only a suggestion there are no methods by which you can tell a search engine to take a particular course of action.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:48 PM

I used to use WPTouch a lot. It's a good plugin but old fashioned. Over the past year and a half I been moving sites into Jetpack, which has built-in mobile capability and offers a much cleaner solution in my opinion. I haven't run into any issues with it and I use it on high-traffic sites, diverse sites, with a lot of different themes.

Jetpack is designed by Automattic, the people who create Wordpress.

#7 AussieRob

AussieRob

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Hey Michael, 

Thanks for the input. I haven't used Jet Pack yet. I'll have to look into it. 

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!