• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Assigning .net And .com Domains To The Same Directory/site And Seo...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 crzyhrse

crzyhrse

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:58 PM

I have both the .net and .com versions of my domain for my Wordpress website. I've searched and searched to find the best way to hook both of them into my site and not create problems with Google and SEO, but nothing I find seems to address this specifically. 

Both domains are registered with my hosting service as a part of my account on a shared server, with both domains assigned to the same directory that contains my Wordpress site. Going to www.example.net or to www.example.com brings a person to my site's home page, with the address showing either the .net or the .com, depending on what was typed into the address bar. Once on the site clicking to another page on it brings that page up with .com in its address, even if it may have been .net on the previous page. I believe my site's internal Wordpress installation settings assure this...

I am very happy with it working this way.  I want both .net and .com to bring people to the same place. But my question is, is the way it is set up and working somehow a problem with SEO and Google..? Is there a better way to do this, cause both domains go to the same site that would make Google happy/happier..?

I asked at my hosting service, but they weren't helpful other than saying I should not additionally 301 redirect the .net domain to the .com domain, because it would create problems with the fact that both domains are already assigned to the same directory. 

The site is using Yoast's SEO plugin and is site-mapped and hooked into google webmaster tools and analytics only as .com...

Maybe it is just fine the way it is, but it'd be really nice to hear that from folks who know about these things.

And now that I've discovered this site I'll be hanging about, in the hopes of learning more about SEO...

Kind regards.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,108 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:08 AM

http://www.highranki...t-301-redirect/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your