• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Links - Really ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hello Hello,

I have another question... don't really get it. I am reading on some blogs (from heavy hard core bloggers) that they try to avoid giving links to other pages.

Main reason: They want to keep the audience on their own website.

Well.. that of course makes sense.. if you have less links to other pages, you have higher chances of a better bounce rate.

However, when I compare that with yoast SEO... it's different.

Because yoast SEO plugin recommends actually that you should have at least one outgoing link on your page.

I know this is a very broad and generic question...

but what the heck is it really all about these days with the links ?

Should you ? Or should you not ?

And if you don't set any outgoing links... will it effect anything with your ranking ?

I mean... do you have benefits in ranking if you have many, many links leaving your website ?

Or is it the opposite ?

I also see sooo many blogs with a flood of links... called blogrolls... 

Really confusing... I dont' see any benefits from such blogrolls... but again.. tones of links are going to other websites....

that being said.. really curios what you all think about links in general.

thank you so much for all your comments !

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,123 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Hello Hello,

I have another question... don't really get it. I am reading on some blogs (from heavy hard core bloggers) that they try to avoid giving links to other pages.
Main reason: They want to keep the audience on their own website.

Well.. that of course makes sense.. if you have less links to other pages, you have higher chances of a better bounce rate.

So, just out of curiosity, how did you manage to escape their Websites since they were trapping you there by not providing links to other sites?

However, when I compare that with yoast SEO... it's different.
Because yoast SEO plugin recommends actually that you should have at least one outgoing link on your page.

Well, that's one plugin's opinion. I think you should have outgoing links where they would be useful to your visitors SO THAT THEY WANT TO COME BACK. But that's just another opinion.

I know this is a very broad and generic question...
but what the heck is it really all about these days with the links ?

The same thing it has always been with the links. Too many SEOs are listening to each other when none of them really knows what the search engines are doing with the links.

Maybe links help, maybe not. It varies by site and by SERP. But that's a broad and simple truth and you can't build any formulas on it so a lot of people just ignore it.

Those tend to be the people who complain about penalties and algorithms, in my experience.

Go figure.

Do we need links? Yup.

How many do we need? No idea.

Should we be linking out to other sites? Yup.

How many outbound links should we provide? No idea.

Can we trap visitors on our sites? Nope.

How do you make people come back? No idea. I let them figure that out for themselves.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Once again, it's not an SEO issue.

It's all about you providing the best experience for your users. If it makes sense to provide them with links to further information, then not doing so is simply dumb.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,944 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

if you never link out from a URL, how are visitors going to find their way around your site?

AND .....

If your site URLs do not link to other valuable/important/useful URLs that are related NOT 'relevant', how will you gain the much coveted "authority hub" title.

#5 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

ha.. really good points here.. love it.. I think (for future and now) I simple have to ignore many other websites .. and all other crap I am reading.. it's just to much confusing "stuff" out there...  I think the only real thing you have to do is setting the focus to your site and content.. period...  I just don't understand why people put so much stuff outside.... useless plugins, pitching and selling every piece of s.....  feels almost like a cult... lol; I feel like it's kind a natural that rookies like me fall into every single trap... what a pitty... but luckily there are a few jedis .... may the force be with us.... 

I am just curios how much more I will learn.. it's been already a nice journey.. thanks to all of you - I mean it - thank you !!!!

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

RESEO you are correct. I've found it to be the same in every industry. Check out my recent post:

6 Similarities Between SEO and Personal Development
  • Riencrehe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!