• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Page Load Time

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ustrauss

ustrauss

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:04 AM

I manage PPC campaigns on Google and Bing and think I have technical issues with my landing pages and funnel pages.

How can I monitor technical issues or page load time and correlate between technical performance and marketing performance?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,033 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:18 AM

"page load time" isn't really something that you can actually measure, because it depends on  factors at the user end of the connection.

Your site access logs will store the time it takes for the content to be delivered to the user agent though.

For 'technical' issues, again your site access logs will provide details of every request made to your server.

Marketing performance is tested using A-B or multi-variate methods and comparing conversion ratios between the various changes you make and test.

#3 ustrauss

ustrauss

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for your quick reply!!

I am trying to understand if the drop in conversion is caused by a tech issue or a bad campaign I'm running. I haven't changed the campaign for some time but there is still a drop. Do you know of a way I can make sure it's not a tech issue?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,984 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

If your page doesn't load when you go to it, you have technical issues. 

#5 ustrauss

ustrauss

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

There are a few more scenarios other than page doesn't load :-) like slow loading in different regions, marketing pixels that take forever, javascript errors....

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,033 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Fix the ones you can ...... ..... ignore the ones you can't.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,984 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

There are a few more scenarios other than page doesn't load :-) like slow loading in different regions, marketing pixels that take forever, javascript errors....

Sure sounds like technical issues to me then! I mean, what else could it be?

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

What is under your control is how well you design and publish the page. That can include off-page stuff like server performance. Maybe you need a faster server. Maybe you need to optimize your server.

Maybe your server is being slowed down by junk connections from a lot of robots. Maybe your server is being slowed down by attempting to power too many on-page widgets.

Tweaking page LOADING and RENDERING time requires a lot of review, thought, and experimentation. The loading may be faster than you think but the rendering could be slowing some things down.

If you're embedding third-party widgets on your page then your page's loading/rendering time may be adversely affected by poor execution from the third-party sites. Some third-party widgets will actually force a browser to wait before doing anything else with the page.

You just have to start at the top of the page and work your way through every element that you include, testing and optimizing. And you should be asking yourself if the widgets really justify their existence.

Just because someone comes up with a cool way to do something doesn't mean you should be doing it.
  • ustrauss likes this

#9 ustrauss

ustrauss

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:07 AM

Hi Michael, thank you!

So from what I understand there is no tool that can do what you explained, right? it has to be done manually?

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,033 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:59 AM

Pretty much, and with different browsers, clearing the cache each time or turn caching off.

#11 ustrauss

ustrauss

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

Do any of you use Google Analytics for this purpose? to try and understand if page performance is affecting conversion? is it possible?

#12 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

It's possible to infer all sorts of things from what Google Analytics shows you. I often walk through a client's site in Google Analytics. I ask them questions and point out possible implications of what the data indicates. But there is almost always a larger story and sometimes they fill in gaps in my knowledge that Google Analytics cannot address.

It sounds like a trite cliche but each site really IS different. You can hit the same kind of bottleneck with a lot of different tweaks.

So, yes, there IS value in looking at what Google Analytics shows you about a Website's behavior and user engagement, but remember that the top-level reporting is aggregated data. You have to drill down deep into geolocation, user agent, landing page, etc. It can be very mesmerizing and confusing. You may or may not find something useful.
  • Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!