• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

#hashtags ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

Hello Hello,

does it actually make sense to put #hashtags on your page ?

for searches ? and being found ?

what are your thoughts about that ?

thx for any little comment, idea, etc.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

No.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

It may be useful if you're providing meta data for social sharing to include hashtags in there, or if your page happens to include a call to action suggesting that people spread the word about something via the use of a hashtag, but if you're asking whether putting a hashtag on a page will help you show up in search results (for something other than the text of the hashtag itself), then no.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,106 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

And thrice No.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

If you want to be clever and get a post into a hashtag search on a service like Twitter then you need to put the hashtag into your page title (whatever is Tweeted).  When people click on your Tweet button that should include the hashtag.  But then people will see the hashtag in your page title in Bing and Google (at least sometimes).  Is that really what you want?

Edited by Michael Martinez, 24 June 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#6 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Well... it's an interesting topic. Let me try to explain a bit my thoughts.

Just recently, I was much more digging into Twitter. And I like Twitter a lot, because you have discussions going on you can participate really quick and easy with people, tweeting about the same stuff.

And of course it's real time.

I was also reading that Facebook is now supporting #Hashtags, as well as Instagram.

As a twitter user, I got many times tempted to use the #Hashtag as well on google.

Now you will ask why the heck should I do that ?

Same reasons, I can find people talking about a specific topic.

When I did #hashtag searches on google, I realized that people are adding #hashtags also on their pages... yes, google+ pages, and their websites.

I find this pretty interesting, because not many people do that - but it looks like more and more twitter users are also searching within google for #hashtags - and what ever is related pops up...

doesn't matter if it's just a tweet from twitter, it can also be a website, a g+ page, etc.

also.. pages have posts... what means if you search with a #hashtag you might find additional content, or people interested in the same topic.

Is the search result different ?

Ohhh boy.. yes it is.. I noticed a big difference in the SERPS...

Sure, it might be true that the majority of the users is not using #hastags when searching for something...

But Twitter user might use them.. to what extend ever.. I can not figure out ....

It would be nice to have a tool like google AdWords Keyword Tool to identify how many people are searching a specific keyword with a #hashtag in front of it.

Hmmm.. now I give you one example.. I was searching for #Vray. It's a render engine. However, there is a small community that is using that software.

I was able to find people and relevant content by searching for #Vray. Instead, using just Vray without a Hashtag brought me just the generic information.. very broad ... and of course I doesn't target as much people... it's not as personal...

with the #hashtag in front, I was able to find bloggers, and people who are acutally using it - talking about problems, showing their artwork.

And of course, twitter pops up a lot for the first place.. but then I see posts, pages, websites.. which is pretty cool....

And that's why I was wondering if it actually make sense to put the #hashtags into the pages.

I mean, obviously it will not give you any ranking advantage within google... but another possibility to be found from people who really care about your topic.

And I do see that as a very good alternative to get organic traffic... and relevant traffic... you attract people who are interested in the same thing.

Hmm.. but maybe I am the only one using #hashtags when searching.... lol;

Not sure if you can get penalized from google if you add #Hashtags to your posts... can you ?

Anyways.. just wanted to share my thoughts about it.... 

Edited by reseo, 24 June 2014 - 06:32 PM.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

The search tools (including Google) where I have tested #hashtag queries do not appear to be filtering as people expect them to.  Even on Twitter the #hashtag query includes many results where people use the word but not the actual # character.

In my opinion you don't actually need the hashtag to be included in the query, except that it may help searchers mentally include your content as relevant.

Until such time as hashtag searching becomes distinctive enough to create separate results from hashless searching this is probably not worth developing into some sort of optimization strategy.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

Not sure if you can get penalized from google if you add #Hashtags to your posts... can you ?

Huh? For what reason?

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,106 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

OK I'll try not to be too patronising here, but:

Google WANTS you, nay, REQUIRES YOU  to link to other things such as blogs, Twitter conversations (aka 'hashtags'), forum threads/posts that YOU find interesting, useful, thought provoking, an example of crass stupidity, amusing, entertaining, etc. etc., after all how else can they find what people ARE discussing?

To continue along that theme, Google wants you to link to other URLs that are related [take note that is related NOT 'relevant'] that's the bit the 'link building "experts"' get completely wrong.

Forget about Google, forget about potential 'penalties' and just do what would be PERFECTLY NATURAL in a face to face conversation with the viewer of your web document. Because that IS what it is. You are not talking to the millions of Internet users at once, you are just talking to that one person who happens to be viewing that document, at that particular time. If you think that that person may be interested in what is happening elsewhere and is related to what they are reading currently, LINK TO IT.

If you were anywhere else and pitching to a potential customer you would NOT think twice about giving them some other material to look at that helped your case, why should it be any different with an 'online' pitch?

#10 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

@jill:

keyword stuffing, or name it #hashtag stuffin ... if you have lot's of #hashtags .. was just curios if google would say... disqualified... that's about it...

#11 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

A jumble of words on any page may get you into trouble regardless of why they are there.  Google admits it still has trouble differentiating between legitimate lists of words and spammy keyword stuffing.  Less is better in these situations.  Not "less is more" but "less is better".

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

@jill:
keyword stuffing, or name it #hashtag stuffin ... if you have lot's of #hashtags .. was just curios if google would say... disqualified... that's about it...

Well sure then. If they don't make sense to be there then it's likely Google won't have much interest in them. But that's not a penalty.

#13 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

ok.. thank you so much... like always... appreciate all your input...  you made my day !!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!