• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Author Rich Snippet ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

I always had the impression that it is enough to make sure you use on your webpage code the following attribute:

Author:
<a href="https://plus.google....bout?rel=author" target="_blank">YOUR NAME</a>

Now, I found other sites talking about the publisher attribute:
<a href="https://plus.google.com/YOURNUMBER" rel="publisher" target="_blank">YOUR NAME</a>

Which one is now valid for the Author Rich Snippet ?
still the author, or do I need to have the publisher ?
Or both ?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,620 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

They serve different purposes. Authorship markup associates a writer with their work, no matter where that work is published. Publisher markup is more about connecting a site (just one) with that company's Google+ profile.

I suppose if the company is one person, and that person is the only person publishing content to the site, then there's probably not a lot to gain from using both, but publisher markup is a one-time thing and there's always the possibility that additional authors will be brought in at some point.

• Jill likes this

#3 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

Hmmm.. so does that mean.. for example.. I do have my google+ profile.. and additional to my g+ profile, I do have a page....

profile=author

page=publisher

????

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,620 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

The author is connected to their individual profile, and the publisher is connected to its business page.

By the way, Google has just announced that they're changing the rich snippets that come from the use of authorship markup. See http://searchenginel...le-count-195163

• Jill likes this

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

In other words, no need to bother with Google+ anymore. I wonder if they'll be nuking it all together at some point.

#6 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

Hmm... ok.. confused now... does it mean, google drops the little author rich snippet totally ?

I mean, you can't see any image any more at all ?

all gone ?

I guess then it's not useful anymore to use any authorship link element, or any publisher link element ?

right ?

that's it ? game over ? Or did I miss something here ?

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

Hmm... ok.. confused now... does it mean, google drops the little author rich snippet totally ?

I mean, you can't see any image any more at all ?

all gone ?

See the article linked above.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,949 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:13 AM

I guess then it's not useful anymore to use any authorship link element, or any publisher link element ?

right ?

That would depend on whether you think that Google rankings are the be all and end all or not.

#9 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,620 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

It was never really about rankings, although there are tons of articles out there that note a correlation between ranking well and getting rich snippets (can't imagine why...:) ). It was really a matter of standing out from the rest of the SERP and getting more click-throughs. And snippets for pages with authorship markup will still be different, but not in a way that's likely to be immediately noticeable.

Outside of that, are there other benefits to using the markup? Not that I'm aware of...

#10 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

yeah.. ok.. so that means... yes.. my bad of course.. the rich snippets never helped for ranking but I meant... it helped for being better seen in the SERPS...  so yes, a matter of standing out from the rest of the SERP and getting more click-throughs.. but if that's gone...  who really cares then anyways to have it embedded or not, right ?

#11 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:21 AM

Well, Google says that their new Authorship markup in the SERPs should drive about as much traffic as the older version.  But only time will tell.

In some queries I found so many marketers' pictures cluttering up the page I doubt they made much difference.  Getting rid of the pictures may actually improve the user experience.

#12 MarkWarner

MarkWarner

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

It was never really about rankings, although there are tons of articles out there that note a correlation between ranking well and getting rich snippets (can't imagine why... :) ). It was really a matter of standing out from the rest of the SERP and getting more click-throughs. And snippets for pages with authorship markup will still be different, but not in a way that's likely to be immediately noticeable.

Outside of that, are there other benefits to using the markup? Not that I'm aware of...

It's used for the "in-depth" article rankings at the moment. If you want to learn about how Google likely envisions (or envisioned) using authorship, you can read their "Agent Rank" patent here, it's fairly interesting - http://tinyurl.com/p2vzgnv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!