• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Comment Spam

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

Although I have preventative measures in place to both ban comment spammers and/or prevent comments from auto-posting, I am still scratching my head at the perceived value by the spammers. So:

1) If the comments were auto-posting it is almost certainly devaluing the authoirty of the site - this works against both site owners and the spammers.

2) Again if autoposting or manually approved, the garbage destroys the prestige of a site in the public's eyes, thus reducing would-be traffic

3) Are spammers so desperate to still believe that the few remaining visitors are going to hop on their spammy links and buy whatever they have to offer?

4) With project honeypot and similar databases out there to identify spammers (and their IP addresses) there has got to be some fallout to the spammers themselves. It takes some time/effort to keep switching IP addresses and such.

5) This is pure speculation, but google is smart enough to identify spammy links; why wouldn't it also be smart enough to follow the thread to the source and devalue the source as well, thus causing a horrible side effect of comment spam?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,106 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

1) If the comments were auto-posting it is almost certainly devaluing the authoirty of the site - this works against both site owners and the spammers.

2) Again if autoposting or manually approved, the garbage destroys the prestige of a site in the public's eyes, thus reducing would-be traffic

What makes you think they even care?

3) Are spammers so desperate to still believe that the few remaining visitors are going to hop on their spammy links and buy whatever they have to offer?

As above; the outsourced 'low rent' labour actually doing the spamming don't give a toss, they are getting paid peanuts for "data entry work" and probably can't even read the 'blog' they are commenting on or the 'comments' they are leaving.

; why wouldn't it also be smart enough to follow the thread to the source and devalue the source as well, thus causing a horrible side effect of comment spam?

They do. That's when you hear the cries of anguish when the terminally clueless  find that their "ranking has suddenly dropped".

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:45 AM

My company regularly receives semi-literate comment spam on our corporate blog, posted on behalf of one of our competitors. Near as I can figure, they've hired some "link building company" that promised they'd "place" X number of links per day/week/month/whatever, who found our blog while looking for "relevant" places to "place" these links. Since we're (obviously) writing about the same sorts of topics that matter to the competitor, our blog looks "relevant."

And since the company "placing" the links isn't really any good at what they do, they neglected to notice that we're the competition.

The few that make it through the spam filters get deleted right away by me, of course, before they ever see the light of day. Although I have considered letting one or two through (minus the links back to the competitor, of course), but calling out both the commenters and the competitor for spamming. Or at least emailing the VP of marketing at the competitor to let him/her know what's being perpetrated in their name.

But then I think, this competitor is wasting money on this worthless service... money that they might otherwise be spending on legitimate marketing tactics that could help them gain market share against us. So I just keep on deleting the posts and letting them carry on in ignorance. :)

--Torka :oldfogey:

Edited by torka, 20 June 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,106 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

Has anyone mentioned that you have a rather wicked side :pokey: :pokey:

:)

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

I once dressed for Halloween as a witch with a capital B... :witch:

:giggle:

--Torka :oldfogey:

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

1) If the comments were auto-posting it is almost certainly devaluing the authority of the site - this works against both site owners and the spammers.

Website "authority" is a rather vague concept that marketers use without any real support from search engines on what it should mean. Search engineers generally use "authority" in a very limited context. Spammers don't think in terms of what the consequences will be for the sites where they place the links.

Churn-and-burn spammers expect to replace their destinations relatively quickly. I have seen claims/reports of having to replace sites on a weekly and monthly basis. So they expect to go back and get more links to new sites.

Third-party linkers either don't know what they are doing is bad or they don't care. Their clients obviously have no idea of what they are doing since they hire the script kiddies in the first place, although some members of black hat/spam forums openly advertise these services and other members openly sign up for them.

And then there are always people who are just getting started, trying out the software for themselves, and they really have no idea of what to expect; nor do they usually have much of a coherent strategy in mind.

They are usually NOT looking for traffic from the exploited sites.

4) With project honeypot and similar databases out there to identify spammers (and their IP addresses) there has got to be some fallout to the spammers themselves. It takes some time/effort to keep switching IP addresses and such.

They sign up with proxy services that provide them with a never-ending stream of new IP addresses. Many of these IP addresses come from Web servers using Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, and other exploitable CMS platforms.

5) This is pure speculation, but google is smart enough to identify spammy links; why wouldn't it also be smart enough to follow the thread to the source and devalue the source as well, thus causing a horrible side effect of comment spam?

They do. But the comment spam is being generated on a massive scale.

#7 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

Comment spam is basically a simple way (and very cost effective) to blackhat your way with some search terms. Yes, it is short-lived, yes Google is clever but yes - you can rank if you bombard enough sites...

It works like this----

A script finds wordpress sites, very easy to do - finds them and posts a comment. That comment is sent via a rotating Proxy Server and is generally succesful. All you need is a 1% conversion rate of a webmaster thinking that the comment is legit and you might get some love from the SE's....

To avoid comment spam use AKISMET and also Matt Cutts favourite called Cookie Blocker or something like that - google it.

The best plugin is one that times a comment - meaning that a human cant type 100 words in 0.02 seconds - but a bot can - so - if a comment only takes 0.02 to post then bin it...it is spam.

My two cents....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!