• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Search Volume For Images / Videos ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Hi there,

when using the Google Keyword tool, I can look up the search volume for every single keyword.

Is there any tool that can do the same for pictures and videos ?

Thank you so much for any little info !

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,842 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

The same ones, just add "image" or "picture" into your seed phrase(s).

#3 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

ok.. I see... hmm.. in terms for ranking pictures and videos.. does google actually use the same metrics as it does for the ... hmm.. let's call it "google text serps engine" ?

I mean.. I was always wondering how google ranks images and videos... 

the results on the image and video search engine tab of google are different....  hmm... really wondering how that works...

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,842 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

hmm... really wondering how that works...

In that case, ....

You probably need to get a job on the algorithm design team at Google, because they are the only people who actually know :)

You CANNOT find these things out, it is what it is, and hunting down all the latest tips and tricks will just lead to more questions.

Just give Google EXACTLY what they want, it's MUCH easier working with them rather than trying to fool them.

#5 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:13 AM

I was always wondering how google ranks images and videos... 

Presumably, they use the same technique as when ranking text. They figure out what the picture is about, and they serve it in the search results if they think it answers the user's query.

But if you are asking how they figure out what the picture is about - how they know that a shot of the Eifel Tower really is the Eifel Tower and not, say, the Seattle Space Needle - I guess that they look at the Alt text, the picture's caption, other text that is near the picture on the page, or, ultimately, the subject matter of the page itself.

Mike

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,842 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

Not forgetting the anchor text that others use, if and when linking to the image URL.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

Plus, they actually recognize images these days which is pretty cool!

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

Yeah, I think Jill is right. Google has acquired technology that can identify shapes in images. Various programmers have solved that problem at least going back to the 1990s (I knew one person who developed such an algorithm but I think he never did anything with it).

There are a multitude of secondary factors that a search engine like Bing or Google can turn to when looking for the context of an image, which helps to determine what the image is about.

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,596 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

And they probably use as many different methods as they can. So, yeah, similar to the way they rank text, in that they use so many different factors in such complex relationships to each other it becomes nigh impossible to figure out the precise impact of any given one. Being able to formulate general ideas about what's good and what's less good? Absolutely. Being able to accurately predict the effects of tweaking any one individual factor? Not so much.

It's like  predicting the weather. In the morning, your local meterologist can probably give you a fairly accurate idea of what the weather will generally be like in your town this afternoon. She will probably NOT be able to predict what effect a 1% drop in the barometric pressure will have on the weather three feet outside your front door at 3:45pm precisely.

So, as with text, you can either drive yourself crazy trying to figure out the unknowable, or you can focus on doing what you think is best for your human visitors and move on...

--Torka :oldfogey:

#10 MarkWarner

MarkWarner

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

Presumably, they use the same technique as when ranking text. They figure out what the picture is about, and they serve it in the search results if they think it answers the user's query.

But if you are asking how they figure out what the picture is about - how they know that a shot of the Eifel Tower really is the Eifel Tower and not, say, the Seattle Space Needle - I guess that they look at the Alt text, the picture's caption, other text that is near the picture on the page, or, ultimately, the subject matter of the page itself.

Mike

I'm pretty sure that I have heard either Matt C of John Mueller say something just like that with regards to all those factors you just mentioned, and including the name of the image file as well. ie; eifel-tower.jpg

Edited by MarkWarner, 21 June 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#11 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hmm.. makes all sense... I noticed that in if a site ranks for a specific search query in the top 10.. you usually can find their pictures also ranked in the top 10.. not sure if the algo is crawling the text-pages first and after that it relates to pictures. I also noticed that high res images seem to be preferred... what means, if the image is larger, it might have better chances for ranking.. but that's just a thought.. not thinking of that's actually the case..  but I've noticed it when looking searching for images....

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,842 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:07 AM

not sure if the algo is crawling the text-pages first and after that it relates to pictures.

Does it really matter??

But basically, when a URL is indexed (NOT crawled) the image source URLs, as defined in the src attribute, are added to the image URL database just as document URLs (href attribute) are added to the document URL database.

There is no special process at crawl time, the crawler's only function is to read the HTTP: response and store the status code and the source code in a database for further processing (indexing and content analysis). The URLs are then added to the crawl scheduler for the respective 'bots' to use in future requests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!