• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 Redirect ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:27 AM

Hello,

I re-structure a few folders and pages on an older site.
Would you also consider to re-direct to a category that contains the same content ?
Or do I have to make sure to re-direct Pages to Posts ?
Or... does it actually not matter at all to which content I re-direct ?

By not matter.. I mean.. not losing any link juice ....

Thank you for all your thoughts,
appreciate it.

Edited by reseo, 18 June 2014 - 01:42 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,099 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:22 AM

You redirect to the document URL that has the most appropriate content with respect to the content at the original URL. The nomenclature that you use for the URLs does NOT matter. If the is nowhere appropriate then let them return a 404/410 and have a custom "404 document" that informs the visitor why they are there.

You STILL have this quaint idea that search engines are more important than real people. Getting real visitors to the RIGHT location is more important than the so-called "link juice".

Dumping them somewhere different with no warning or explanation is NOT the best way to keep them and get a conversion from the 'hit'.

• Jill likes this

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,626 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

Or... does it actually not matter at all to which content I re-direct ?

It matters a great deal. If the new site doesn't have content that will satisfy the user, either create it, or don't redirect there.

If the old site is to be shut down and you think its content is useful, then moving that content to the new site makes a lot of sense. In that case, you're doing precisely what a 301 redirect is for, in that you're not finding some new content to take the place of the old content, Instead, you're simply moving the old content to a new location.

But if the old site is sticking around and it's serving its audience well, there may not be any reason (apart from link juice, which isn't a really good reason on its own) to move any of its content.

• Jill likes this

#4 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

ok.. yes.. makes all sense... well like I said.. the content is really relevant.... it stays the same.. the only thing that is changing is of course the path...  and bcause I move the pages to a different directory..  and the old directory get the links to it.. I thought that might be the best to redirect.. and actually a true purpose... the only thing I was not sure.. is if I should re-direct to each page directly.. if if it's ok if I redirect just to the overall category...

that's what I wasn't sure.... 

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,099 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

Like always;

You do whatever would make most sense to your visitors, and it's very very simple to work that out because YOU are a person that might visit your URLs,  so just put yourself in the situation, you know what's been removed and what is still there, where and what would YOU prefer to end up looking at instead of what you thought you might be getting?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:42 PM

the only thing I was not sure.. is if I should re-direct to each page directly.. if if it's ok if I redirect just to the overall category...

Yes, each page directly, no question. 

#7 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

awesome..  all clear now.. thank you so much for all your input - yeeehhaaaaa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!