• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Should I Include 404 Pages Having Pr 2 In Robots.txt File?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Harshada

Harshada

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:51 PM

My website has 3 webpages that has been removed long before, thus it shows 404 errors.
Out of those 3 pages, one page has PR-1, while other 2 pages have PR-2.
Those webpages have low quality back-links and I don't want it to affect my whole website.
I had submitted those pages twice in Webmaster by creating remove URL request, even then it gets appeared in the URL crawl errors.
So, I just want to know whether is it a good idea to submit the 404 error webpages in robots.txt file?
Also, I want to know that... will it affect my Website's PR?

Please seek for any clarification if needed.
Thanks in advance.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,725 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:38 AM

Also, I want to know that... will it affect my Website's PR?

'Sites' do not have PR, individual URLs have PR.

And if you are talking about the useless 'toolbar' PR, .... Who cares!

#3 Harshada

Harshada

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:48 AM

You need to say that my website won't get affected, then shall I proceed by entering those webpages in robots.txt file?

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,725 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

You need to say that my website won't get affected,

I can't say that, because I don't know if it will or not, I can only tell you that "toolbar" is not something to pay attention to

You need to say that my website won't get affected, then shall I proceed by entering those webpages in robots.txt file?

Why you want to, or need to block URLs that don't actually exists on your tiny part of the Internet?

#5 Harshada

Harshada

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for your immediate reply.

Actually, those 404 webpages gets displayed in the crawl errors section of Google Webmaster even after removal.

I just want to know whether I should ignore those errors as those errors won't harm my website in future?

One more doubt I have...

Does the inbound backlinks for those 404 pages gets counted?

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,725 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

Does the inbound backlinks for those 404 pages gets counted?

To where? The URL they point to doesn't exist. You can't have "backlinks" to something that doesn't actually exist.

The only time those links MIGHT pass 'value' to a URL is if your server does NOT return a HTTP: 404 response code (it's not actually an 'error') but instead returns a HTTP: 200 response, this is known as a "soft 404", or a HTTP: 30x status (Redirection).

If you want Google to 'forget' about them and not try to crawl the URLs, have them return a HTTP: 410 status instead, A 404 response is meant to be returned for a URL that is temporarily unavailable (Not Found) whereas a HTTP: 410 is a permanently removed (Gone) status. This is why Google will keep trying a URLs that is responding as a 404 sometimes for years.

If you want to 'keep' any 'value' from any links that point to the URLs or any useful traffic they may send, redirect them to some alternative location. If not, let them return a 410/404 and forget about them.

Some URLs returning  404 responses for a particular collection of URLs that you call a 'website', does NOT mean that that particular 'website' is not being maintained, so why should anyone think that there is some kind of 'penalty' for actually maintaining a site by removing documents that are no longer relevant or useful??

• Harshada and Mamta like this

#7 Harshada

Harshada

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:13 AM

Thanks chrishirst,

It's clear for me now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users