• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Breadcrumbs For Seo?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jules

jules

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

Hey everyone. I did a quick search on this and couldn't find a thread.

Are using breadcrumbs good for SEO or mostly just the visitor?

Is there a preferred method in coding these to get picked up by the engines?

Please direct me to a thread on this if it is in existence.

Thanks!

Julie

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

There is no proven SEO value in the use of breadcrumbs except where they may be the only navigational links on a page.

There is no proven SEO negative value in the use of breadcrumbs except where they may be part of a footprint of a "made-for-SEO" Website (a lot of "SEO friendly" directories were probably identified in part because of breadcrumbs in a late 2005/early 2006 algorithm update, for example).

As long as the breadcrumbs actually HELP your visitors and do not clutter up the page you should be okay.
  • Jill and jules like this

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,585 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

As long as the breadcrumbs actually HELP your visitors and do not clutter up the page you should be okay.

I agree. I'd add to that that I think it's important that the breadcrumbs serve to lay out the site's structure rather than the path taken to reach a particular page. I've seen breadcrumbs that are dynamically generated based on clicked links, and I don't think that's very useful -- certainly no more useful than a back button, and it means that a little piece of the page's content is changing based on user activity.

I've been seeing breadcrumbs show up in SERPs more often in the past few years, and I think that can be useful from an SEO perspective. Like sitelinks, it provides the searcher with more than one page to choose from, but it also serves to show a piece of the site's taxonomy and give the user the option of going to a page that's higher up in that structure.

For example, if a page about red lederhosen is returned for a search (it's been far too long since I used that example), but the user is more interested in seeing a variety of lederhosen rather than a single product, then seeing something like
Apparel > Traditional > Lederhosen > Red

gives them choices other than clicking through with the assumption they'll have to figure out how to get where they really want to go once they're on the site or running a different search.

Note also that using https://schema.org/breadcrumb may help search engines understand your breadcrumbs, but as long as you're consistent with their use that may not be necessary.

#4 kiwistech

kiwistech

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:31 AM

breadcrumbs? This is the very first time i am reading about role of breadcrubms in SEO. Is is true they have such importance in SEO?

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,714 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

breadcrumbs? This is the very first time i am reading about role of breadcrubms in SEO. Is is true they have such importance in SEO?

Read the second and third posts in the  thread for the answer.

#6 jules

jules

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Thanks again ya'll. 

What about making my breadcrumbs also my H1 tag?  

IE if my breadcrumbs were "Categories >> Fine Art & Craft >> Jewelry"  - I'd like to put the H1 tag within the div tag of those breadcrumbs... wouldn't that be more advantageous than splitting up the phrases into H1, H2, H3 ?

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,585 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

I'm not sure what benefit there could be in putting the breadcrumbs into a heading (or multiple headings). I know not everyone bothers with putting their headings into actual Hx tags these days, but I still prefer to, and I think of the <h1> as serving a purpose that's fairly similar to the page's title: it describes the content that the whole page is about.

The breadcrumb trail, as I see it, serves a very different purpose: it describes how the page fits into the structure of the site. I think it makes sense for the last breadcrumb to be similar or even identical to the text of the <h1> (if the <h1> is just a word or two), but I don't see a reason to put it in a heading tag.

• jules likes this

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

I cannot see any benefit to using Hx elements for breadcrumbs. I should think that would be kind of weird.

You don't want to fall into the trap of "doing this for SEO" until you really understand what it means to "optimize for search", which is nothing like "do this for SEO".

When you do something to a Website that helps it perform better in search, you're either helping the search engine or deceiving it. Helping the search engine helps you much longer and more reliably than fooling the search engine.

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,714 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Thanks again ya'll. 

What about making my breadcrumbs also my H1 tag?  

IE if my breadcrumbs were "Categories >> Fine Art & Craft >> Jewelry"  - I'd like to put the H1 tag within the div tag of those breadcrumbs... wouldn't that be more advantageous than splitting up the phrases into H1, H2, H3 ?

Sounds like a great way to get the attention of Google. ....

In EXACTLY the wrong way.

http://www.highranki...ight-places-316

• jules likes this

#10 jules

jules

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

Thanks again folks!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic