• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Finding Your Niche - Part 2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

Hello everyone,

I found the first post about this topic very very good - lot's of good and inspiring comments.

However, I would like to get some more opinions, thoughts and hints about:

- WHAT can you do to find your niche ?

- and HOW can you do it ?

SERPS:

The first way I can think of is by checking search traffic & competition to a topic I am interested in.

My biggest problem I do have is to find that niche for the field I am really interested.

I am pretty sure I am not alone out there.. but my scenario doesn't look very promising.

Low Search Volumes with extreme strong competition.

And that scares me so much, that I don't even think about to pull off something in my particular field of interest. 

I mean... how do you approach that ?

Wouldn't it be foolish to spend lot's of energy, lot's of time and some money as well to your absolute dream topic - but you know upfront by checking the situation - there is no way to rank in the SERPS ?

And no way to beat your competition ?

What do you think about that ?

SOCIAL:

The second approach could be social networking - it's for sure a huge field with tones of opportunities. 

But how would you actually use the latest and greatest Social Platforms to find your Niche ?

Any thoughts about this ?

MARKET ONLY:

Another idea is.. I simple go with the market. I find a niche that looks very promising for digital marketing - and you might have a much higher chance of a business success.

However, you do not know anything about that niche plus you are also not interested in that topic

I have to say.. even if making money is tempting.. I personally do not want to spend time with something I am absolutely not interested. That might be just my personal choice.

How do you see that scenario ?

Thx for any little thought,

highly appreciated !

Edited by reseo, 11 June 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

This is not how I position myself in a new niche. If I already know I am interested in a topic then I build a site that ssays what I want it to say and I promote that site through appropriate channels to create visibility. The keywords come later as people indicate their interest in the site.

Choosing keywords in advance, especially if you're favoring highly active queries, is like planning an invasion of a heavily defended shoreline. You're going to have a really tough time seeing any progress.
  • Jill likes this

#3 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

@Michael:

Hmm... well.. are you saying when you are positioning yourself in a niche you do not research the market before ? This is how I understood your post.... hmmm... 

I do not take keyword research to literally. I mean, I am usually not focusing on "one single keyword" - I fetch tones of related keywords ... but to see if these keywords belong to a field of interest, a specific group, and yes.. a niche market. And to answer the basic mandatory questions: 

- Is there already an existing market ?

- And if so, how is the competition and do I have chances (in my league) to score ?

What you are saying.. is something it's totally new to me. That you "fly just blind" and write about something and you hope people will find your site and show interest ?

Like I said, I am not sure if I could really understand your message.

@Why I blame ants eating my strawberry jam:

Let's say I am so interested in one topic: "Why I blame ants eating my strawberry jam".

Yes, I can write about it.. I can post about it.. and I can try to get social engagements.. but the truth is.. if there is no market, no one is interested in the ants and my jam problem... the journey will go nowhere.. don't you think ?

@Innovation:

A different game would be innovation. You create something new people are craving for it. Everyone want's to have it. And it wasn't there before, and you are inventing it.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

@Michael:
Hmm... well.. are you saying when you are positioning yourself in a niche you do not research the market before ? This is how I understood your post.... hmmm...

It depends on what you mean by "position yourself in a niche". If you mean you are creating a Website for yourself and you hope to monetize it, either by placing advertising or some sort of lead generation, I do research the market to the extent that I try to find out what the issues and concerns are (as well as the fundamentals). But I don't invest time in traditional keyword research because a new Website isn't going to rank well for highly competitive, very popular queries without a lot of links -- and I don't like to build thousands of spammy links.

I'd rather attract links by building content that attracts people. Get them to thinking and they'll link to you.

If you mean creating a Website for clients who have certain expectations then, yes, I'll do the keyword research and try to point them toward achievable goals while laying a foundation for content that can eventually go after the highly coveted keywords. And I still don't like to build thousands of spammy links so I don't make promises.

I do not take keyword research to literally. I mean, I am usually not focusing on "one single keyword" - I fetch tones of related keywords ... but to see if these keywords belong to a field of interest, a specific group, and yes.. a niche market. And to answer the basic mandatory questions:

For me what is important is what people are talking about. What questions are they asking? What complaints do they have? Looking at people who are frustrated is more productive, in my opinion, than looking at people who are trying to rank for keywords. 

What you are saying.. is something it's totally new to me. That you "fly just blind" and write about something and you hope people will find your site and show interest ?

I don't "fly blind". I just don't follow the crowd. That's very unproductive, highly inefficient, and a path fraught with peril and frustration.

If I want to make a splash in a new niche quickly I'll publish content that says something different, something helpful, and make sure it is crawled as quickly as possible. Being able to promote content through social media makes the task of attracting visitors and earning links easier but I can still do it the old fashioned way.

All it takes is helpful content and patience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!