• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keywords In Categories ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

Hello Hello,

considering you are using WP.... I was just wondering if it would make any sense to use keywords within your category slug ?

Let me be a bit more specific. Let's pick one example.

Topic: Graphic Design

Keyword: Cool Graphic Design

a simple PAGE: cool-graphic-design

If I would create a page, and the page is also setup to target the keyword "cool graphic design" I would slug the page with cool-graphic-design. Boom, period, done.

Now I can feed that specific page with all my quality content.

- Text (contains keywords, phrases, etc.)

- Images

- Audio (Podcast)

- Videos

- Slide-Shares

- Infographics

- Presentations

- Tools

- etc.

I can fully control every single piece and medium of the content I put on my specific URL.

Keyword Density, Phrases, etc. and yes, same can be done with a Post of course. Easy-peasy.

now.. let's have a look how it runs with the category:

CATEGORY: cool-graphic-design

If I am going to create a category instead I would use the same slug: cool-graphic-design

In that case, my URL will show collected posts of that specific category.

And that means, I do not have the same control and possibilities using a Page or Post.

- I can not craft this URL as specific (can not control keyword density, since it's a collection of different posts)

- I can not funnel, optimize and fine tune the URL as I can with a page

- URL specific: Long Term I would get tones of content collected, since all my posts will be "channeled" to that category - also depending on how I'll display the category.. all posts with full content, or just excerpts.

As you can see - it makes a difference how the final URL looks like.

Again, a category doesn't seem to let me "control" the specific URL as precise as I can control with a Page or Post.

Questions: What are your thoughts about this ?

A) Does it make more sense to use Pages/Posts only to fully control the content of one specific URL ?

B) Category: might be more beneficial for ranking "Long-Term" since all related posts will feed that specific URL ?

C) Category: Might be used as a "Ueber-Content" URL. Imagine I do show 100 posts on one URL ? (But ranking for what ?)

What I want to keep in mind is also what Chris mentioned in previous posts. This is in my opinion very important,  a key-element.

It all comes down to "URLs" - that's what google is looking for. And it doesn't really matter if there is a page, post, or category behind... which is anyways just a WP user specific feature.

my personal thought about using Keywords for Categories Slug:

so far... it seems to be nonsense using keywords within your category slug. Ranking for what ?

with that .. I mean.. even if you have 100 articles bundled within one URL - it becomes a monster URL - keywords mixed, phrases mixed, the content will be just mixed...

so for what would you rank for ? just doesn't make any sense.

ok... I just wanted to ask everybody's opinion... if you also think it's nonsense to use keywords within a category slug ?

What would tell me: Don't use categories to target keywords, don't use categories for ranking, just use them for what they are built for and to make the user navigation as easy as possible.

And if that's the case...  the focus on keywords is mainly used within Pages and Posts - period.

Your thoughts about his ?

Edited by reseo, 09 June 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,946 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:27 AM

You should NEVER focus on "key" words ever! when you start along that road you are waving a big flag at search engines with "SEO over here" written on it.

Just use a phrase that describes it naturally and in a compelling way that INVITES people to click on it.

If the 'category' is about mythical fire breathing, flying beasts ...

"Caution, there be Dragons here!" is going to get more clicks than "Dragons, Red Dragons, Blue Dragons"

"Key" words are bloody BORING for the poor sod who is reading yet another "key" worded link to a page.

IMAGINATION not saturation.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

Keywords-in-URL is such a weak metric these days that you can use just about any idiotic expression in the URL and still get the article to appear where you want in the SERPs. I have tested this multiple times.

Create URLs that your visitors will understand and remember.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

It all comes down to "URLs" - that's what google is looking for

They don't give a shit

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,946 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

It all comes down to "URLs" - that's what google is looking for. And it doesn't really matter if there is a page, post, or category behind.

You have misunderstood somewhat, it's not a URL that they are 'looking for', it is simply a URL that search engines use to find the content. How the URLs are worded or structured is of little importance, it is what is found at the target end of the URL that really counts,

#6 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

it all comes down to URLS:

well.. yeah...  agreed to both of you (Jill/Chris) - I mean I got it what you meant when you explained the URLs. Search engines care about the content, and it totally make sense.

However... but to be absolute specific.. you both do not think that it will help for ranking at all to mention related keywords in the URLs ?

I am not 100% sure about that. I have a site, with a keyword in it, that is within the TDL - so yes, a so called exact match domain (EMD) - and for reasons I can not explain, my site ranks better than some others who have better good content links, also more links, better links from higher PR sites, more Social Likes and Shares...

I can not explain why - and my site is really not good, not optimized, the content changed all the time.. and I killed tones of sites that have been indexed over time.

Plus.. I also changed the topics randomly.. totally crazy... and .. I was never thinking about ranking... because when I did all that, I didn't even know anything about SEO... that's the other funny part. 

And because of that experience.... I am not 100% sure anymore, if the URL does not matter at all in the algo - for search queries and related content.

I mean, it makes sense.. let's say, you talk on your blog about "James Bond"  to you have the keyword "James Bond" somewhere in your URL...  Why not ? It should be also relevant for google.

Maybe not as much anymore as it was 10 years ago, but I still think... it would make logical sense to search queries also in the URLs.

It might not have such a huge impact anymore... who knows for sure.. but that google would have taken it out 100% to NOT consider that anymore ? Hard to believe.

What you think ?

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

However... but to be absolute specific.. you both do not think that it will help for ranking at all to mention related keywords in the URLs ?

It never helped as much people thought it would or should. Now it helps even less.

I am not 100% sure about that. I have a site, with a keyword in it, that is within the TDL - so yes, a so called exact match domain (EMD) - and for reasons I can not explain, my site ranks better than some others who have better good content links, also more links, better links from higher PR sites, more Social Likes and Shares...

"...for reasons I can not explain..." does not, in any way, mean that keywords-in-URL must be working.

You have a hypothesis, that the keywords-in-URL help. You can test this hypothesis in many ways. Most SEO tests are poorly designed but one easy way to test this hypothesis is to create a crazy domain name (like xaghsed.com) and put a document on it that everyone will love and link to and see if it ranks for its title (without using keywords in the document filename/URL).

The point of the test is to see if you NEED keywords in the URL. And if the test shows that you do NOT need the keywords in the URL then you have the freedom to choose NOT to use keywords in a URL.

Being able to make choices is better than any kind of SEO where you MUST do something specific.

#8 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

yeah, actually the hypothesis is true..  but isn't it the same seeing it reverse ?

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

It is not as simple to prove that keywords-in-URL actually help with rankings as it is to show that you don't need them. But even if keywords-in-url help with rankings you're limiting the effectiveness of your content to a very small selection of queries by emphasizing only the keywords you can get into the URL.

If you write 500 words of text on a page, that page is relevant (but may not rank for) thousands of potential queries. A common practice is to say, "Well, for this page QUERY X is the most important". In looking at the analytics data for a LOT of Websites, however, I have learned through the years that QUERY X is rarely as important as most people believed.

The page isn't optimized for search if it ranks number 1 for QUERY X but misses out on many other opportunities. You can squeeze a lot of keywords into a URL but it's just not necessary to have any of them there.

The point is to think about how to get traffic to the page, not how to get traffic for a specific keyword.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 12 June 2014 - 04:02 PM.

• Jill likes this

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,946 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

yeah, actually the hypothesis is true..  but isn't it the same seeing it reverse ?

Fifteen - twenty years ago it was (sort of) but things change (all apart from what the "experts" try to [s|t]ell you).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!