• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Top Keyword Phrases Referring To A Website

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Karro29

Karro29

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

I am absolutely inexperienced in SEO and just started studying the subject. As one of tasks for my job application I need to analyse a website and point out 3 terms that I would like to improve rankings for. Which I believe means that I should find out which keywords most usually refer to the wbsite and which less often so could be used more frequently. I was wondering if there is any free tool that would allow me to analyse a website (not mine so google analysis is not possible) and detect which keywords usually refer audience to the website. I am not certain if there is any tool that would help me with detecting keywords similar/related to those already used on the website so that I could enlarge keyword base. Any tips highly appreciated. Probably there was a similar post to this one already so my apologies, but being so inexperienced I have even problems searching for the right topics.

Thank you very much in advance for helping me!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,788 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:53 AM

As one of tasks for my job application I need to analyse a website and point out 3 terms that I would like to improve rankings for.

You don't want to work for ANYBODY who thinks rankings' is what SEO is about. Simply because you will NEVER accomplish what they want.

I was wondering if there is any free tool that would allow me to analyse a website (not mine so google analysis is not possible) and detect which keywords usually refer audience to the website.

The ONLY way anyone can really decide on what "key" words to use for marketing  is by knowing the product and understanding the target audience for the product.

Edited by chrishirst, 07 June 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,607 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

If you have access to analytics or Webmaster Tools, you'll be able to see what searches are currently bringing traffic to the site. Specifically in Webmaster Tools, you can compare impressions with clicks for particular searches and get an idea of whether the way the site is showing up in search results is enticing searches to click through to it.

You can also take that list of keyword phrases and run some research to see approximately how many searches per month are made, and to get suggestions about similar phrases that the site might or might not be getting a decent share of traffic from.

Also take a look at sites you need to compete with -- those that you believe to be bigger than your site in its niche and those that are consistently showing up in the results for searches that you already know are bringing your site some traffic, and study those sites to see whether they're optimizing for specific phrases (or groups of related phrases) by looking at the titles they use for their pages, the way their sites are structured, and the links pointing to them from other sites.

• Karro29 likes this

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

If you have a Google AdWords account you can plug any Website URL into their keyword planning tool and get suggestions on what that site may be relevant for.

The AdWords tool does not correlate very well with organic traffic but it's better than nothing and probably better than most SEO tools.

If you don't have access to the AdWords tool then grab a few phrases from page titles and headings and type them into Google (manually -- do not use "cut and paste").  Google Auto Suggest will show you which phrases are most recently popular with searchers.

Some marketers higher people to type in desired phrases to trick Google into suggesting queries they rank well for, so you cannot trust Google Auto Suggest 100%, either.

• Karro29 likes this

#5 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

Some marketers higher people to type in desired phrases to trick Google into suggesting queries they rank well for, so you cannot trust Google Auto Suggest 100%, either.

In addtion, Auto Suggest is presumably based on searches performed throughout the world, so does not necessarily reflect those done in your target geographical market.

Mike

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

In addtion, Auto Suggest is presumably based on searches performed throughout the world, so does not necessarily reflect those done in your target geographical market.

Mike

I think you may be right. I have noticed over the past few months that when I search for local businesses on Google they tend to suggest queries that only someone in my area would want to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!