• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Unique Page Title

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gon

gon

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

The problem is this - I know that page title is important for seo so I try to make my page titles unique so that I can avoid competition e.g. 20 other websites with the same or similar title to my website.  However a title that is too different might mean that my websites get a very limited amount of traffic or none at all.  The crowd are more likely to type in common titles for their searches but it is the crowd I want to attract.  What should I do?   How do I get the balance right? 

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,108 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

However a title that is too different might mean that my websites get a very limited amount of traffic or none at all.

Nope, the anchor text used  for your promotional campaigns (link building)  is what will make a big difference to traffic. 'Page' titles will only play some part in the small proportion of traffic that MAY come from Search referrals.

#3 gon

gon

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:08 AM

My websites are free ones with subdomain names which makes it difficult for me to get backlinks it seems to me.  Does it matter if I have no backlinks but just outbound links composed of anchor text relevant to the content of my websites?  Will just outbound links make a big difference to traffic? 

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,108 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:43 AM

My websites are free ones with subdomain names which makes it difficult for me to get backlinks it seems to me.

Rubbish, promotion by link building is NOT; absolutely NOT getting links that point to the site root.

So-called "outbound links" help the URLs they point to NOT the URL they are on, and if your URLs have "no back links" they are NOT going to get much traffic.

Will just outbound links make a big difference to traffic?

Is that a trick question?? Links send traffic from the URL they are on to the URL they point to, not the other way around.

#5 gon

gon

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

No it is certainly not a trick question! What is promotion by link building? I realise the importance of back links and I have tried to get them by submitting  my website to free directories but as far as I know I have not had them accepted.  What worries me is that my websites are free with subdomain names.  Is it possible to get backlinks to those kind of websites even though the content is fine?  If it is possible where should I submit my website to?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Anything worth linking to can get links. Period. 

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

The problem is this - I know that page title is important for seo so I try to make my page titles unique so that I can avoid competition e.g. 20 other websites with the same or similar title to my website.  However a title that is too different might mean that my websites get a very limited amount of traffic or none at all.  The crowd are more likely to type in common titles for their searches but it is the crowd I want to attract.  What should I do?   How do I get the balance right?

Create a Website that YOU would want to read every day. Start with the kind of content that pleases you. You can learn the search engine optimization later, after you have created something worth optimizing.

SEO should never lead the way. Someone who knows search engine optimization inside out is naturally going to do things as a matter of habit or process that will improve a site's visibility and performance; but all the SEO in the world won't make total crap worth reading. Regardless of your skill level you have to begin your project with a very clear purpose and message in mind.

Creating content that way makes it much easier to optimize later on. If you don't know enough about SEO to do it right from the start then you're better off not thinking about what you need to do. Just get to the point where you have some good, interesting content on the Web.
  • Jill likes this

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,108 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

If it is possible where should I submit my website to?

You don't "submit" anywhere,

What is promotion by link building?

The dictionary definition of promotion is:

something devised to publicize or advertise a product, cause, institution, etc., as a brochure, free sample, poster, television or radio commercial, or personal appearance.

So it is: Placing links to promote the URLs to other people. it's a secret life that links have <<< see what I did there? I promoted that article to you by linking to it.  It's not the 'home' page or the top level of any particular 'structure' it's just a URL, why would I place a link to the home page when I want you to actually read that particular page?

It really is about time that the age old myth of only the 'home' page needs links died out completely. You link to where you actually WANT visitors to go. Search engines have known this for TWENTY plus years, isn't it about time EVERY marketer/promoter also realised it??

Edited by chrishirst, 08 June 2014 - 02:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!