• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Site Architecture Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 p0lp0lp0l

p0lp0lp0l

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

Our site is an online Marketplace for Services. 

Naturally, we have a lot of unique content in the form of :
a) Job Posts
B) Profiles of Service Providers

We also have 2 very important pages:
a) The Job Listing Page
B) The Service Provider Page

These pages have their general version which displays all Professionals, but also the per category and per Area versions which are really good for SEOs.

So the General page H1 is "Professionals in Cyprus" (Cyprus is the name of the country)
but if you select a specific category you see more targeted terms like 

- Plumbers in Cyprus 
- Lawyers in Nicosia (Nicosia is the name of a City)

etc 

These terms are very valuable and are the ones that we would like to target. 

The problem is that all the unique content exists in Job Details or Profile pages and thus we face a dilemma.

Essentially, the content in the listing pages is duplicate (except some headers and a little text on top) but we `d really like to promote these pages because :

a) They have great H1/Title text
B) Users convert much better if they land on a listing page instead of a Detail/Profile page

From what I understand, the optimal solution is to create "Category pages" but that will be very bad for User Experience and we would like to avoid it.

So the way I see it we have 2 options:

a) Make Detail and Profile page no follow. This will make sure that the Listing pages will have the unique content, and will also have the most link juice and thus be presented higher. 

However, in the listing pages you only see part of the description and thus a lot of the long-tail original content will be lost. 

This solution appears to be a good one in the short-term but given Google's emphasis on original content i can't help but feel that in the long-term this is not the direction we should be taking

B) Make Listing pages no-index, follow so that Google Crawls them, but does not display them in the listing, and instead pass more link juice to the Detail and Profile page which have the most unique content.

With this method, i think we will be able to create a spike in our traffic quite quickly, but the conversion rates will be much lower. 

At the same time, given Google's emphasis in original content creation, I would guess that this is the "right direction"

So that's our dilemma. I would strongly appreciate any help you can offer

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,028 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

Forget about search engines and do what is 'best' for USERS.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:58 PM

Make Listing pages no-index, follow so that Google Crawls them, but does not display them in the listing, and instead pass more link juice to the Detail and Profile page which have the most unique content.

It's this obsession with imaginary "link juice" that leads so many people wrong.  What, exactly, is "link juice"?  If you're talking about PageRank then you should just say that.  If you're talking about anchor text then you should just say that.  If you're talking about crawl then you should just say that.

Believe it or not, you may get one or two but not necessarily all three.

If you want organic search traffic then create something that compels your visitors to use your site's search tools.  With site search you have more control and you don't have to worry so much what the search engines think (of course, that depends on what you use for a site search tool).

Job listings are ephemeral.  Job search brands are forever (or at least considerably longer than ephemeral).

• Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!