• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Arrow In Google Serps Next To Domain

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sharimathias

sharimathias

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

I've been seeing gray arrows next to domains in some Google organic search results. When you click on these arrows, you get a snippet of information about the company (usually from Wikipedia). It seems to be a repeat of the information shown in the knowledge graph window when you do a branded search. For example, a search for amazon.com shows the arrow next to their organic listing and clicking on it displays the same information as the window on the right.

Is this arrow something a site can get by doing something specific or several things or is this something Google gives sites it "trusts"? It doesn't appear to be displayed just because you have the knowledge graph window appear in searches for your brand name.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,106 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

You see the bit at the bottom of the snippet, that says;

You've visited this page 2 times ....

That drop down is the URLs you HAVE visited on that particular collection of URLs  while signed in to your Google account.

• Jill likes this

#3 sharimathias

sharimathias

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

Thanks.  However, that's not the piece I am talking about.  The arrow is below the title, above the description, and to the right of the URL.  It shows up whether I am logged in or not, incognito or not.

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

I'm no expert, but my understanding is that this is something over which you have no control. It is entirely up to Google (or other search engines) how they format their results. I've no idea what criteria they use for deciding to show the little arrow that you refer, but I doubt you could influence it one way or the other.

The same is true of the way they show subsidiary links below the main entry (Books, Shop by Department, etc. in your example). Come to think of it, you don't really have any control over any aspect of how Google displays your site in their results. Just about the only thing they can't mess around with is the URL.

Mike

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

You sure it's not some plug-in you have installed?

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

Barry Schwartz reported on this in January.

http://www.seroundta...-box-18007.html

Google's New Knowledge Graph Snippet Overlay

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, I'm seeing it as well. As Michael says, not a plugin but something from Google itself. Only seems to appear for some listings (Amazon, Ebay, Staples, some of the larger vendors in my industry, as a for-instance) but not for all. Not sure how Google decides which sites are "notable" enough to deserve the overlay.

--Torka :oldfogey:

• iliyaamin likes this

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

Amazon didn't show it for me. Had the arrow, but there was an opportunity to view the cache and a few other things in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!