• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Viral Image Campaign - Where To Post ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hello Hello,

I am thinking about creating an image campaign for supporting a specific purpose: stop shooting rhinos

I do have one important page and I would like drive traffic to this page.

The campaign "stop shooting rhinos" is not really part of my content, which is actually graphic design.

However, the illustration I created for that campaign is totally related to my services.

Question:

What would you recommend - where should I put the illustration ?

Directly to my important page ?

Or  should I create a new individual page just for the campaign "stop shooting rhinos" and parent it to my important page ?

I can't see any pros and cons at this point... hmmm...

Of course.. I try to achieve attention, and my goal is to get many likes and as much traffic as possible.

thank you so much for any of your thoughts, hints and recommendations !

Edited by reseo, 02 June 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,913 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:04 PM

The campaign "stop shooting rhinos" is not really part of my content, which is actually graphic design.

Doesn't sound like it belongs on your current site at all. 

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,775 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

That's why people have 'blogs'.

They are not there for things that should be on your 'site', they are there for things that don't need to be on your site,

#4 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hmm.. ok.. so you are basically saying.. such news belong into a blog ?

But even if I add a blog to my page.. I mean, what's the big difference ?

I would create a category named blog, and within that blog I would create a post.. and the post would be named "stop shooting rhinos".

However.. it's a page on my URL... 

How it is related ?

I made the illustration for the campaign.

Ok.. so you are saying.. for visitors .. to be clear about it, to be political correct in navigation etc.

It's a news topic, a topic that fit's the best to my blog, right ?

Hmmm.. do you actually see all social engagements happening mainly through a blog ?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,913 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

Hmm.. ok.. so you are basically saying.. such news belong into a blog ?

No! We're saying something completely irrelevant to your website and its target audience doesn't belong anywhere on it. It simply doesn't make any sense to be there!

#6 MarkWarner

MarkWarner

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

Kudos to you for doing something good...

Although I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do and why. It doesn't sound like there is much need to put this on your own website like someone else has said. It sounds like the best thing to do would be to just watermark the images, send them out there and hope they go viral and someone cares that you made the images. You might help the rhinos through awareness, but Im not sure that is going to bring in lots of customers who need design work.

If you are trying to do this as a way to obtain links or market yourself somehow, I would look to donate your services to existing campaigns for this and/or similar causes. I'm sure it's possible to pick up a few links that are somewhere near being whitehat from various people in those circles... just don't really ask for them, but work with people you suspect will link to you, maybe just make sure they know where your website is and make some kind of effort there. If any penguins ask... you're just saving rhinos, there's nothing to see here:) There are certainly worse activities you can be doing to foster a few incoming links.

As for where to put it.... if need be, in your portfolio section where people can see your work perhaps? Depends on if you are making good stuff or just doing memed photos etc.

Of course.. I try to achieve attention, and my goal is to get many likes and as much traffic as possible.

... just remember, there are no prizes for that. The biggest lesson that I constantly re-learn is that untargeted traffic with no intent to purchase is always startlingly unvaluable. Back to my first paragraph, you might save some rhinos, but if this is a networking or marketing idea to drive business, I would suggest re-strategizing.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by MarkWarner, 03 June 2014 - 08:59 PM.

• torka and chrishirst like this

#7 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

Thank you for the input.

Well makes sense what everybody says. However, I guess I owe everyone a better explanation. 

I guess this topic belongs more to relevant content - however.

How I see it.

I am a Graphic Designer. So people tell me all the time - ONLY if you have relevant content to graphic design, your page, or URL or post.. does make sense.

I have to disagree.

Why and how I see it:

I think an absolute relevancy does not exist ! 

What do I mean by that ?

Yes.. I do make graphic design. But that doesn't mean, that a graphic designer doesn't have other topics then graphic design.

He also can post about topics that are somehow connected, releated and relevant for him.

For instance.. if I want to talk about "How to create Buzz being a Graphic Designer" - it is relevant.

Because the page and content I create talks about creative graphic ideas, what you could possible do in order to get social media attention.

I also have to say.. let's say the article or post is about "How to win more Social Influence as a Graphic Designer" - it is relevant to what I do.

It belongs to my field, my industry, to my job, my niche.

And now..  let's say a photographer, a sculpting artist, an Animator, a Freelance Designer, an actor, yessss, even a lawyer, a bricklayer, a carpenter, or what ever writes an article about that topic, or that issue on his website.. and he creates one single page or URL related to that specific topic.... well.. in my opinion... it is related.

For instance.. even if a Dentist would have published a post called "How to get more Facebook Likes and win new clients" - and let's say he links to my page that is relevant and the content is about "How to use social Media and Facebook for your small business" - I mean, this is all related and in my opinion relevant.

I also think.. when Chris mentioned before that every URL is what counts.. I believe in that as well.

What means.. it doesn't matter if you name it category, post, page, etc. What counts and matters is the URL and the content.

I can not imagine that google would not accept that fact.

So finally.. what's the purpose with the Rhino Illustration and the page related to it ?

- I create a Page that talks about "How can you create buzz as a Graphic Designer and using the medium Illustration"

- I show the creative ideas, the concept work

- I point out what you could possible do to to create "Buzz" with the image

- Can go viral or not

- How can it be used within your social networks

- What social network would be the best to choose 

- What tools and possibilities do yo have 

- What you should be aware of 

- What matters what doesn't

- etc.

In my opinion.. it would belong into my blog.

Your thoughts ?

Edited by reseo, 06 June 2014 - 05:21 PM.

• shashikant likes this

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

If you put the content on your page then your page is relevant to the content in a clinical, technical sense.

But if the page looks uninteresting to visitors they are not going to support it with social media shares and links.

The idea behind separating content by type across different pages or Websites (sections) is to give each page an opportunity to focus on its most important topic, to create a good user experience, and to make it easy for the search engines to understand what the page is really trying to accomplish.

So when people say what you put on the page should be relevant to the page, it may be easier to see what they mean if you think in terms of "relevant to the topic that is most important to the page".

You can put a "Support the Don't Shoot Rhinos campaign" ribbon on your page and have it link to a Website (blog) that explains what the campaign is about.  A lot of people do that for various causes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!