• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Best To Do Seo For A "yelp" Like Site?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sunnyp81

sunnyp81

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

SEO/SEM is essentially about bringing users to your site using keywords/key phrases, location and so forth.

My question how would you start people reviewing on a review site thats initially empty? How would they find it in the first place?

Would you pay people to write reviews (i dont agree with this and its unethical).

What steps would you take to SEO this site nation-wide?

I have experience in doing SEO for local businesses, but not on a nationwide scale like this.

If anyone can help, share advice, tips etc. I would love to hear them.

I want to learn to do this myself as it seems very interesting, so even any material that you can point me to would be fantastic!

Thanks for reading :shades:

Edited by Jill, 30 May 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,869 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

SEO/SEM is essentially about bringing users to your site using keywords/key phrases, location and so forth. [/size]

Nope, SEM is, sure, but SEO is about making the documents USEFUL for the users you do start getting to arrive. Forget search engine optimisation and think Site Experience Optimisation.

My question how would you start people reviewing on a review site thats initially empty? How would they find it in the first place?[/size]

You tell them where it is. That's why link 'building' is promotion NOT optimising.

Would you pay people to write reviews (i dont agree with this and its unethical).[/size]

As long as they are marked as advertising and not editorial reviews of course it's ethical, I mean where would GoDaddy or HostGator be without their shills and "independant" hosting review sites?

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,616 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Does the site cover as wide a range of niches as Yelp does, or is it more focused? I guess either way, you've got to start somewhere, so choose a niche or two, and do some research into who's influential in those niches on social media. Get in touch with them and see if they can help you with some advice about what might make your site more appealing to reviewers, readers, businesses, etc. Once they've offered you help and you've implemented some of their ideas, they may be interested in posting there and helping to spread the word about the site.

On the other side, start locally and write some reviews yourself. Get in touch with the businesses you gave positive reviews to (and don't write positive reviews just to do this) and see if they'd be interested in displaying some sort of "Find us on [your site]" sign on their door or a counter.

#4 sunnyp81

sunnyp81

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:42 AM

Nope, SEM is, sure, but SEO is about making the documents USEFUL for the users you do start getting to arrive. Forget search engine optimisation and think Site Experience Optimisation.

You tell them where it is. That's why link 'building' is promotion NOT optimising.

As long as they are marked as advertising and not editorial reviews of course it's ethical, I mean where would GoDaddy or HostGator be without their shills and "independant" hosting review sites?

Thanks Chris,

When you say you tell them where it is, how do i find "them" to tell them?

Does the site cover as wide a range of niches as Yelp does, or is it more focused? I guess either way, you've got to start somewhere, so choose a niche or two, and do some research into who's influential in those niches on social media. Get in touch with them and see if they can help you with some advice about what might make your site more appealing to reviewers, readers, businesses, etc. Once they've offered you help and you've implemented some of their ideas, they may be interested in posting there and helping to spread the word about the site.

On the other side, start locally and write some reviews yourself. Get in touch with the businesses you gave positive reviews to (and don't write positive reviews just to do this) and see if they'd be interested in displaying some sort of "Find us on [your site]" sign on their door or a counter.

Thank you querty,

The niche is to be local businesses, but it needs to cover the country. 

--

You have both given me alot to think about and work on.

Thank you very much

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,869 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

When you say you tell them where it is, how do i find "them" to tell them?

"Them" can be found at where ever "they" go to talk or learn about "whatever".

The first rule of marketing .... "Know your audience", and of course do not get lost in trying to promote a 'site', you are only trying to promote the URLs that have content that relates to the people you are promoting it to.

• Michael Martinez likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!