• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Changing Which Page Shows Up In Specific Search

Best Answer Mikl , 28 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

Rather than trying to arrange things so that Google shows your "default page" (whatever that is). wouldn't it be better to fix your content so that, no matter which page a visitor lands on, they will immediately be enticed into the site, and they will be able to quickly find the information they need about your products and how to order them?

Mike

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NorrellGallery

NorrellGallery

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:37 PM

I have a nature photography website that now shows up on the first page of google search for certain terms. But the link that google shows is not the default page, but rather an internal page on the site. I imagine it returns that page because the product listings are on there. But I would prefer the default page to be shown in search instead. Is that something to be done with a canonical reference line, or is that just for dealing with duplicate content? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,106 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

But I would prefer the default page to be shown in search instead.

Hard luck, YOU don't get to choose. Google's algorithms determines what URL is relevant for their users queries.

And for your results, .... it chose that particular URL.  Tomorrow, .... It may be a completely different URL that you get shown.

#3 MarkWarner

MarkWarner

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

The canonical tag would maybe do the trick, moving the content and doing a 301 could work as well, but I wouldn't suggest either. The canonical is usually for duplicated content scenarios, and google treats that more as a suggestion than a rule.

This sounds like the page they are showing is probably much different than the page which you want to be showing, so tricks are less likely to work and wouldn't really make a ton of sense.

Why mess up a good thing. Be happy on the front page. If you would like, focus more on the homepage stuff and be sure that somehow you are getting a few links pointed there over time. Eventually you can have both pages rank on the first page.

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:03 AM   Best Answer

Rather than trying to arrange things so that Google shows your "default page" (whatever that is). wouldn't it be better to fix your content so that, no matter which page a visitor lands on, they will immediately be enticed into the site, and they will be able to quickly find the information they need about your products and how to order them?

Mike

• Jill, torka and chrishirst like this

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,636 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

That approach gets my vote, Mikl! :)

--Torka :oldfogey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!