• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DavidSEO

DavidSEO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

I was checking keywords for an account I have through Google AdWords keyword planner to find additional “gems”.  I also checked the two leading competitors.  I noticed several, and I mean a lot, of unwanted keyword phrases that came up for this account.  These keywords are not mentioned anywhere on the website. 

I did a simple check by putting the URL into “search for new keyword ideas” tab and got my client’s website showing up for keyword phases including several different cities and states such as Denver and Las Vegas as well as many keyword phases of the local competition company names. The business is located in Pennsylvania.   None of these keyword phrases are included on the website.  I have the site optimized for the metro area that the account is located in as well as landing pages for several different townships in the area. 

The metro keyword phrases are showing up in the AdWords tool, the local townships do not.  This business does rank for these local townships. 

I am confused on why this site is showing up for so many cities that are not mentioned at all on the site as well as the names of the competitors.  Any idea?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,833 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

Google personalise results, you search(ed) for "local" phrases, Google shows you them. They ALSO display "variations on a theme" based on your search history, it is what makes rank checking a useless pastime.

The suggested key words may be "unwanted" by you, but they ARE what real people have used when searching for whatever products or services are offered at the URL you 'checked' according to the algorithm used by the tool

Key word tools are NOT absolutes, they are guides to what you MAY want to use or investigate further, nothing they throw out should be "unwanted". You should be using them a "seeds" for further research.

I have the site optimized for the metro area that the account is located in as well as landing pages for several different townships in the area.

I guess the key word tool considers otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!