• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Treated Like A Page ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

Hello Hello !

When you create a category named cars and your path structure looks like the following:

root.com/cars/

and let's further say you have a bunch of different posts parented to the cars category.

root.com/cars/post-001.html
root.com/cars/post-002.html
etc.

You can set WordPress to output and display all posts from that one category.

However, the URL is root.com/cars/

Is this path in Google's eyes also treated like a Page ?

If so, it basically means that the category can be used to collect all your posts on one freaking page, right ?

Even... If it's not possible to edit and handle the category within WP like a page... The final output looks like a Page, right ?

I mean anyways.. every single post in my opinion is treated like a page.. so I assume its the same with the category, right?

Why am I asking ?
Well.. I wonder... If the category path is not treated as a page... I was wondering if you would also get a Pagerank ?

Because it's technically just a category... and a collection of different posts ?

Hmm... ok.. I hope I could somehow explain what I meant... curious about your thoughts....

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,018 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

Google doesn't care about "pages", "posts", "stories", "articles", "threads" or whatever any particular CMS calls it's management of content.

EVERYTHING is just a URL, whether the document delivered from requesting that URL has snippets of text from 3, 5, 20 or a 100 items, the total content of one item or partial content of one item, they are ALL the same, just URLs.

Individual URLs are what search engines index;

Individual URLs are what search engines show to searchers.

Individual URLs have PageRank.

Individual URLs are where links come from and where links point to.

Individual URLs are where content is located.

Individual URLs are what the Internet is comprised of.

'home' pages are just URLs.

Forget completely about all other terminology that describe a web accessible document, all you need to know is they are just URLs.

Edited by chrishirst, 25 May 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:28 AM

You can set WordPress to output and display all posts from that one category.

However, the URL is root.com/cars/

Is this path in Google's eyes also treated like a Page ?

If so, it basically means that the category can be used to collect all your posts on one freaking page, right ?

By default Wordpress constructs an HTML document for each category URL. There are plugins that prevent it from doing so, if you don't want that to happen.

The category document will include copies of the posts in that category or, in some themes (or as provided by some plugins), it will include excerpts from the posts assigned to that category.

You can force a post excerpt to appear by using the MORE tag:
<!--more-->

#4 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

@Chris: Awesome... that is clear now - and yes, you are right.. the terminology was confusing me... so all what count's is the URL - got it ! @Michael: that was a great hint because I totally forgot about duplicates. This might be the main reason why many people prefer to use just pages and also set the category to noindex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!