• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Wordpress Attachment Id's ?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

Hello Hello,

some of my attachment id's are indexed at google.

They show up like this:

root.com/?attachment_id=1737

Such attachment ID's are nothing else as images I've uploaded to the WordPress Media.

Soo.. basically meaning...  images I am using for my pages.

Question:

Is it somehow possible to change the ?attchement_id=1234 URL to an URL like /name_of_the_picture/ 

Is this possible ?

I rather have it indexed with the name of the image if that makes any sense.

and one more thing... PAGE-TAGS....

what's your opinion on that ?

Should you definitely use them for achieving better ranking results ?

Edited by reseo, 22 May 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

I'd block via robots.txt

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,841 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

When you upload the image set the title and caption properties to what you want it to be

Only definitely NOT.

#4 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

@Jill:

thank you Jill... I see what you mean...  hmmm... but how does the code for the robots.txt  actually look like ? I mean, if you want to block just the attachment Id's ?

Isn't there any function within WP that allows you to block them automatically ?

@Chris:

Hmm.. yeah... makes sense now. And that means, it's just better you DO NOT specify any page tags, right ?

What I mean is... within WordPress you basically go to your Page-Tags section and you make sure you delete all of your existing page tags, right ?

Or just make sure.. there are simple NO PAGE TAGS at all, right ?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

You would disallow in robots.txt:

root.com/?attachment_id=

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,841 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

What I mean is... within WordPress you basically go to your Page-Tags section and you make sure you delete all of your existing page tags, right ?

Open your dashboard, -> Appearance -> Editor ->

find this code, where it is depends on the template you are using

<?php the_tags( ............... ); ?>

and comment out  the_tags() with //the_tags() then they are never displayed.

#7 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

@Jill:

thank you so much - you are simple the best. 

Funny.. I found a website about the same topic, and the guy says you should not use the disallow in robots.txt

Make sure your Robots.txt is not blocking access to tags and categories pages, as best way to stop indexing s using Noindex tag. 

If few of your pages are already indexed in Google and you have added noindex tag and also stopped crawling of that part of your site, Google may not recrawl particular section of your site and will never see noindex tag.  Robots.txt exclusion is useful for parts like Wp-admin and Wp-content.

His page is over here: www.shoutmeloud.com/how-to-deindex-wordpress-tags-categories-attachment-google.html

I do not fully understand why he thinks that the disallow in the robots.txt would actually block google for crawling all my other directories.....

What do you think Jill ? Is this just trash ?

@Crhis:

Will try.. need to figure out where I can find that file... uff...

Edited by reseo, 23 May 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,841 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:25 AM

It's most likely to be in one of these, where the 'tag cloud' appears on the rendered URLs will assist the search.

content.php -> With or after the "content"

sidebar.php -> alongside (or after) the "content"

footer.php -> after the "tontent"

index.php == the 'home' page

single.php == individual posts

category.php == post categories

page.php == on 'pages' not 'posts'

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

Yes, you have to be careful what you disallow via robots.txt which is why I told you exactly the one thing you could disallow in my post. 

#10 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

@chris:
Thank you very much Chris, appreciate it. I first looked into my tags from WP and made sure there are NO page tags. However, I assume it's just cleaner to comment out in the .php files.

But also interesting... I just noticed that I do have in yoast seo plugin Tags and Page Tags... what's the difference ?

Did not realize that before.

@jill:
Ok.. makes sense... what's funny is the fact that he also says not to block categories. Hmmm... I am using like many other people yoast seo plugin. Need to check... but I would have set all Tags to NoIndex.

Hmmm.. shouldn't I ?

And last but not least I could not figure out what yoast means with the Format. Holly Molly......

Edited by reseo, 25 May 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,841 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

seo plugin Tags and Page Tags... what's the difference ?

None at all, it's just bullshit masquerading as "useful"

I am using like many other people yoast seo plugin.

Doesn't mean it's of any use to anyone.

ESPECIALLY if they take the "recommendations" as being absolute.

Plugins are only as good as the persons who wrote it, if they believed in last century "SEO by numbers" that is what the plugin churns out. 95% of SEO "advice" is garbage, particularly from the people who are the "high flyers" because  they have to keep coming up with something new and 'interesting to keep their clients on a string.

#12 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:36 AM

Question:
Is it somehow possible to change the ?attchement_id=1234 URL to an URL like /name_of_the_picture/

Change your permalink settings. If you are embedding the images in your pages you have several options (in the current version of Wordpress, 3.9.1) for managing how they appear. You can select "NONE" in the "Link To" field for "Attachment Settings" if you use the Wordpress embed function.

and one more thing... PAGE-TAGS....
what's your opinion on that ?

Don't edit the PHP files for your Wordpress as your changes will be lost the next time you update the installation. Intead, just don't use tags in your posts. You can mass delete all the tags from your admin dashboard (the posts remain in place). Click on POSTS in your admin menu, then TAGS, then click in the box by "NAME" and then use the drop-down for "Bulk Action" to delete.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 26 May 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#13 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,841 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

Don't edit the PHP files for your Wordpress as your changes will be lost the next time you update the installation.

Only if the changes are made in  the 'core' files.

Default theme templates are normally only updated by major version changes, 2.x -> 3.x for example.

Custom designed theme templates or themes cloned from default ones and subsequently modified are not affected by "automatic updates" of WP versions.

#14 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

Yes, but any update to a modified file will overwrite the file. That is why they recommend people create child themes. I have a few child themes myself. Of course, whether you edit the files directly or create child themes or clone plugins and themes -- you're responsible for making sure your version of the code continues to work with any future updates installed on your site.

#15 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

@chris + Michael:

YES.. makes all sense.. thank you so much for all the info - appreciate it. And by the way, I am using a child-theme.  But I also have to say... it confused me... I mean the child theme...

Why ? Well.. what ever code I put into the child-theme will basically overwrite the original theme - or let's not say overwrite, it will be executed instead of the original.

What I still don't get is the following.

I have my page.php file inside my child theme. I make changes on it. While I do that..  a new update is released.

Now let's say.. the update contains a major change in the original page.php file... but I keep using my child-theme... it basically means, I am NOT using the update.. since the child-theme will be executed.

If I consider that as a fact... I really have to doubt the purpose of the child-theme.

Just doesn't make really 100% sense .... what you think ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!