• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How To Prioritize Keywords For Seo?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andregabriel

andregabriel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hi,

I'm struggling with how to prioritize keywords for SEO efforts for an ecommerce website and which tools to buy (Semrush or Market Samurai).

I run an ecommerce which has 500 products. Let's say each product has 30 related keywords, so there are 15,000 keywords I could focus.

To priorizite, I'd like to get the keyword ecommerce conversion rate. But Google Analytics doesn't provide keyword conversion rate anymore (90% of it shows: 'not provided').

Is there a way around this? How do you prioritize?

I look forward for your reply. Thanks, 

Best Regards,
André Gabriel.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,714 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:05 AM

How do you prioritize?

You don't.

Is there a way around this?

Write content for REAL people NOT computer algorithms.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,581 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

To expand slightly on Chris's answers:

To prioritize, you have to get to know your customers. Use the terms that they use most often to describe whatever it is you're offering. If you don't know your customers well enough to know what those terms are, you need to do some more market research. The best any tools can do is give you a "best guess" estimate. None of them have access to Google's database.

I think one of the reasons Google made the change to eliminate keyword conversion data was that they want website owners to get back to traditional marketing... where you have to know your products, know your customers and know your market. By taking away the crutch of keyword data, they're forcing site owners and webmasters to get back to basics. Making it harder for dilettantes to make money publishing "content" on topics they really know nothing about.

If you really stay on top of market trends, keep in touch with your customers (via newsletter, social media, forums, face-to-face, telephone, postal mail, whatever) -- I think the "right" keywords to use will become clear.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

• chrishirst likes this

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,585 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

That being said, and while I agree with the above, you can still get some keyword data. The information in GA is woefully incomplete, so you won't know what the real numbers are, but you can at least see trends over time. You'll get the general idea of whether particular keywords (or as I prefer to look at things, groups of related keywords) are rising or falling, and that can be fairly valuable information.

In addition to that, Webmaster Tools will give you real numbers regarding impressions, click-throughs and average rankings. It's only Google data of course, and you can't drill down into it to see what people did after the click, but it can also be valuable if you save the data monthly and look at trends over time.

#5 andregabriel

andregabriel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

Thanks fo replies.

I understand your concerns. The thing is that we actually know about our 500 products but as I said there are 15,000 keywords we could use. That's too many, we need to focus. And this focus could be what the majority of people are searching and buying.

Thanks!

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,714 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

That's too many, we need to focus

No it isn't  and no you don't!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,