• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Done Everything Right According To Yoast But Site Is Still On Page 10

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 murphdoggydog

murphdoggydog

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

I have a client that supplies bulk salt by the tonnage/truck load. So I figured it would be easy to get to the top of Google for the keyword "buy bulk salt" and "bulk salt". However it seems I am only being put furth back in the search. I started on page 6 then 7  and now 10 for "bulk salt". For "buy bulk salt" I am on page 3. I use wordpress and the yoast plugin so I figured this would help.

Here is my snippet view:

Buy Bulk Salt At Wholesale Prices - Surplus Salt

Buy bulk salt at wholesale prices and save. Our bulk salt is of the highest quality and at competitive prices. Order bulk salt by the ton today and save.

Here is the content on the site:

Buy Bulk Salt in 1 Ton Super Sacks.

Bulk salt is our specialty, we sell bulk salt by the tonnage and bulks salt by the truck load. No matter the amount of bulk salt you need Surplus Salt can fill your needs. 24 tons of salt a year to a million tons a day we have the capacity for any size operation. Our bulk salt prices are always competitive and at wholesale prices. Our delivery of high quality salt is second to none and we pride our selves on punctuality.

Surplus Salt has been supplying wholesale salt in bulk for over 25 years. We continue to grow because of our customer service and the understanding of your salt needs. We provide bulk salt to over 50 different industries from hide curing to salt for water softening. We understand the salt industry because that is all we do! Surplus Salt is the number one supplier of bulk salt at wholesale prices.

the site is REMOVED

Thanks in advance.

Edited by chrishirst, 13 May 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,708 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

And is that content for the ENTIRE 'site'???

My first suggestion is that you hire a good copy writer as that you have posted is a great example of "thin content" === a lot of words saying ABSOLUTELY nothing.

Second is "SEO plugins" only create the illusion of SEO being "good", when in reality it  is the worst kind of "optimisation" because it panders to a silly 'formula' of a + b + c +d = "SEO", that is really not the case at all.

Start reading nere http://www.highranki...s-for-new-seos/

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Keyword stuffing has nothing to do with Google determining that any given page of your site is the best one to show for someone's search query. 

#4 murphdoggydog

murphdoggydog

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

I hear what you are all saying. At the end of the day it's a site about salt, how can I get creative with that? Should I write shorter copy and be blunt, with mentioning bulk salt less? Should I focus more on link building?

I watched the video from google webmasters tool about thin content. And, again this is a site about salt, they want me to get creative with that subject? How?

oh and thank you all by the way!

And is that content for the ENTIRE 'site'???

My first suggestion is that you hire a good copy writer as that you have posted is a great example of "thin content" === a lot of words saying ABSOLUTELY nothing.

Second is "SEO plugins" only create the illusion of SEO being "good", when in reality it  is the worst kind of "optimisation" because it panders to a silly 'formula' of a + b + c +d = "SEO", that is really not the case at all.

Start reading nere http://www.highranki...s-for-new-seos/

Sorry, I should say it is of only 1 of multiple pages on the site.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

Say whatever is necessary to say about your salt, and then get the word out about it to those who would be interested. 

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

Don't use the word "salt" more than once in any page title. You're not going to get this site to rank by repeating the word as often as possible.

What I find ironic about the "buy bulk salt" page is that there is no order form. You can't actually buy the salt on the Web, but must instead scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the phone number.

That's what I call the "Smarmy Salesman Approach". If the client is only happy with telling people to call them then that information should be visible at the top of the page so that potential customers aren't chased away by all the needless copy.

#7 murphdoggydog

murphdoggydog

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Thank you Michael. Very good insight.

#8 murphdoggydog

murphdoggydog

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

Say whatever is necessary to say about your salt, and then get the word out about it to those who would be interested. 

Jill, Thank you again. When you say get the word out, how would you do this for this particular client?

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

If you don't have any idea on that, I'm not sure why you have taken on this company as a client. Isn't that what they're paying you for?

#10 murphdoggydog

murphdoggydog

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

If you don't have any idea on that, I'm not sure why you have taken on this company as a client. Isn't that what they're paying you for?

It's my cousin. I found some forums that arein our targeted industry. I will start reading there and see if I can be insightful to some questions on those forums.

Also I have never had this hard of a time getting to the top of search engines. That is why I am here. I started stuffing words because nothing else seemed to work. Apparently it has back fired.

Again thank you everyone for putting in the time to answer my questions.

Edited by murphdoggydog, 14 May 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#11 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,580 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

Ask your cousin who his typical customer(s) are, then try to find out places where they might be hanging out online. For instance, if he sells to localities that use the salt for their streets in icy weather, see if you can find websites/LinkedIn groups/Facebook pages/etc. that are frequented by town planners, city managers, municipal transportation managers, that sort of thing. Or if this is food-grade salt, maybe look for food processors, food service providers, restaurant chain procurement officers, etc.

Depending on the type of site and what features/content they already have there, you/your cousin might be able to offer them some content for a blog, newsletter or article archive ("how to determine the optimal brine mix to maximize road safety without breaking the budget," "how to address dietary sodium concerns without losing flavor", etc.), or post helpful answers to question on their forums, or add something of value to the comment stream on their blog or to their Facebook wall or whatever. Just make sure it's about being helpful to them and to their readers, not about getting something for yourself. You've got to build the relationship before you start asking for stuff. :)

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

Edited by torka, 15 May 2014 - 09:23 AM.
added a thought

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

I will start reading there and see if I can be insightful to some questions on those forums.

You are a salt expert too?

#13 murphdoggydog

murphdoggydog

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

Ask your cousin who his typical customer(s) are, then try to find out places where they might be hanging out online. For instance, if he sells to localities that use the salt for their streets in icy weather, see if you can find websites/LinkedIn groups/Facebook pages/etc. that are frequented by town planners, city managers, municipal transportation managers, that sort of thing. Or if this is food-grade salt, maybe look for food processors, food service providers, restaurant chain procurement officers, etc.

Depending on the type of site and what features/content they already have there, you/your cousin might be able to offer them some content for a blog, newsletter or article archive ("how to determine the optimal brine mix to maximize road safety without breaking the budget," "how to address dietary sodium concerns without losing flavor", etc.), or post helpful answers to question on their forums, or add something of value to the comment stream on their blog or to their Facebook wall or whatever. Just make sure it's about being helpful to them and to their readers, not about getting something for yourself. You've got to build the relationship before you start asking for stuff. :)

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

Thank you Torka, by far the most helpful!

You are a salt expert too?

No, but my cousin is. Are you angry at me for trying? We don't have a big budget to hire a fulltime SEO expert such as yourself. Just simply trying to get some insight.

#14 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

Your cousin needs to focus the salt marketing on the customers most likely to buy salt in bulk. Where do they go on the Internet to discuss their needs for bulk salt? Where do they look for bulk salt? What terms do they use to discuss it, discuss their needs, discuss their sources, etc.?

Learn what the marketplace is doing and adopt to those venues. You can't be overly self-promotional (or promotional on behalf of your cousin). You want to be as helpful and informative as possible.

And there is nothing wrong with learning enough about the salt business to be able to discuss it knowledgeably if you're going to help your cousin's marketing. In fact, I would consider that a necessity.

Keep asking questions.

#15 murphdoggydog

murphdoggydog

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

Your cousin needs to focus the salt marketing on the customers most likely to buy salt in bulk. Where do they go on the Internet to discuss their needs for bulk salt? Where do they look for bulk salt? What terms do they use to discuss it, discuss their needs, discuss their sources, etc.?

Learn what the marketplace is doing and adopt to those venues. You can't be overly self-promotional (or promotional on behalf of your cousin). You want to be as helpful and informative as possible.

And there is nothing wrong with learning enough about the salt business to be able to discuss it knowledgeably if you're going to help your cousin's marketing. In fact, I would consider that a necessity.

Keep asking questions.

Thank you again Michael. My cousin and I work close together plu I use to work directly for him so being helpful should be fairly easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!