• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Hosting ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

Hello,

I stumbled upon a keyword that would be very interesting. However, I figured that the keyword is spread out through multiple countries.

US, UK, Germany, Australia

Now I was wondering what might be the best option for hosting ?

I figured that you have advantages in ranking if the hosting company is in your target country.

for instance, you want to rank in the US..  it's better to host in the US.

But what would be a good and ideal solution for that situation ?

A Domain that covers world wide all countries ?

Where to host ?

Any thoughts ?

Thank you so much for every little hints, suggestions and comments !

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,949 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:45 PM

I figured that you have advantages in ranking if the hosting company is in your target country.

for instance, you want to rank in the US..  it's better to host in the US.

Not particularly, ten - fifteen years ago maybe.

http://www.highranki...rketing-issues/

But what would be a good and ideal solution for that situation ?

A Domain that covers world wide all countries ?

Where to host ?

Any that is brandable or memorable.

#3 MarkWarner

MarkWarner

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

If you are thinking of setting up separate websites you can use the country specific TLD and your content will have an advantage when ranking for searches from that country. If you put them all on one site I would just make sure that you do a google search for hreflang and learn how to implement that properly.

As far as the hosting goes, I think that I've heard this addressed by John Mueller before but I can't remember exactly what he said. I suspect there is no real advantage and if there is, it is not as important as the first paragraph here.

#4 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

hmm.. very interesting...

well.. for reasons I can not explain.. I figured that I could rank for a keyword in the US.. but not in the UK.... 

while I was in the Top 10 .. most of the time ranking at #2-#4 in the US.. I was not even found in the UK under the first 100...

I pointed out that issue on the google forum and it was a quite interesting topic.

Some other people experienced similar advantages or disadvantages.

Thank you so much for you reply and the link.. will immediately dig into that...

#5 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hmm.. I was digging into that topic... but there is still something I can't warp my head around this.

If I follow the google recommendation I should be good by using subdomains and host in different countries:

For example:

example.com - hosted in the US

de.example.com - hosted in DE

co.uk.example.com - hosted in the UK

But that does also mean, I do have three independent Domains ?

Three from each other independent websites and projects ?

I mean... if I want to create backlinks... I would need to create backlinks for each subdomain, right ?

Wow... that would tripple the work amount....

not just mentioning... of course, for the german site... I should use german language.. right ?

Or am I totally missing something here ?

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,949 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:51 AM

while I was in the Top 10 .. most of the time ranking at #2-#4 in the US.. I was not even found in the UK under the first 100...

Well given that you are in Portland, Oregon: why would Google show you results that may be relevant to the UK??

If I follow the google recommendation I should be good by using subdomains and host in different countries:

For example:

Maybe, maybe not, are the documents being properly translated and/or worded correctly for these countries.

I mean... if I want to create backlinks... I would need to create backlinks for each subdomain, right ?

No, you should be promoting EVERY individual URL of ALL the sites to people, not JUST the 'home page'.

Wow... that would tripple the work amount....

Exactly! And if done properly even more than triple.

Edited by chrishirst, 10 May 2014 - 03:52 AM.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

For example:

That would be one domain with three hosting accounts. Yes, people sometimes do that.

The primary domain would set up the DNS records that tell everyone (browsers and search engines) where to find the subdomains.

Geolocated hosting is not always necessary in international SEO. I don't believe you have provided enough information about what your business goals are for anyone to suggest the best strategy for you.

#8 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:30 AM

Hello and thank you very much for all your comments, appreciate it ! 

@chrishirst:

Well given that you are in Portland, Oregon: why would Google show you results that may be relevant to the UK??

Sorry my bad. Some more infos about that. I was targeting a keyword with a global market. So the keyword is spread out to multiple countries, from the US to the UK. However, I realized pretty soon that I was not able to rank at all in the UK. After a while I also tried geotargeting, but it had no effect at all. The strange thing was, like I said, I could rank on google.com but was nowhere on google.co.uk - that was a very big surprise for me. 

No, you should be promoting EVERY individual URL of ALL the sites to people, not JUST the 'home page'.

Hmm... not sure if I could understand you a 100%. So you mean, I have to promote (backlinks, social media, etc.) each individual SubDomain, right ? I mean, yes of course as well all subpages or categories and keywords... but my main questions was... and this is where I am still confused... if you really have to promote every single Domain like it's own individual project ?

Saying.. each subdomain get's his own Pagerank ?

And each Subdomain get's his own Domain Authority ?

Or is example.com the Mother Domain and if that Domain has let's say a Domain Authority from 100 - does that mean all the subdomains do have the same ?

That's where I am really confused.

So yes.. if that's the case... holly molly... that is a ton of work.

@Michael:

thank you for your comments as well.

Ok... so let me try to give a better overview. I am facing the following problem.

I found a keyword that I want to target. However, that keyword is spread out to three different countries I would be interested.

The US, UK and Germany.

After experiencing ranking advantages by having domains and the hosting in the target country... I asked myself the question:

Where to host ?

I also want to say.. I personally want to have only one Domain, which is a .com that should work for all countries.

I also want to avoid having multiple domains or subdomains - if I do have to create juice backlinks, etc. for each domain.

Because that would triple the work - or even beyond.

Reading the google recommendation... I guess it might be the best with the subdomains.. but as I layed out - I think I will not consider that option since it takes so much work - managing all the subdomains.. that's quite frankly, just to much.

So I think the best option is probably to pick the country that would give me the highest market chances.

Not sure about it.. but that's what I think at this point.

So let's say I have the best chances to rank in the UK as #1 - I will host in the UK - even if it's a .com Domain.

And for the german translation.. I basically would create a DE directory....  for instance...  

example.com/de/

Hmmm.. still not sure what might be the best option... and that's why I was asking about the hosting location.

What you think ?

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,949 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

Saying.. each subdomain get's his own Pagerank ?

And each Subdomain get's his own Domain Authority ?

First of all "Domain Authority" is complete bullshit, it's was 'invented' by SEO Moz to make you think their "SEO toolkit" is useful

But no! It is that EVERY SINGLE URL has it's own pagerank. Search engines do not index and list 'sites' they index and list individual URLs (pages)

site.com/page.htm has PageRank and site.com/anotherpage.htm has a DIFFERENT PageRank, that is ONLY related to site.com/page.htm if page.com links to anotherpage.com

To a search engine the Internet is simply a collection of individual URLs, and a 'site' is a collection or URLs connected by a common system of hyperlinks, so a 'site' may comprise of a single domain name, several sub-domains or indeed several different domain names that all share a common navigational structure.

By the way; my  use of the term PageRank is NOT referring to the SGB display, PageRank in this context is the summation and amalgamation of values from all the signals or factors that are used by search engines to calculate the 'ranking score' of any individual URL in relation to the users query.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

So yes.. if that's the case... holly molly... that is a ton of work.

Of course it is. With billions of web pages out there, it makes sense only for Google to care about and show those that have put in a true effort to be amazing to their target audiences. How else could they weed out the good from the bad?

#11 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:20 PM

Thanks to all of you. Makes all sense.

Sooo... considering all these points... what would you finally do?

a short summary of my points:

A) I want to have one TLD only
Maintaining one global site - focus on one Domain only. That is already plenty of work. Should cover all countries.

B) Searches vs. Competition
I have a much bigger market in the US. But also a much stronger competition. I could rank my site in the UK and in germany as #1. I would not be able to rank my site in the US as #1. There is one global player I simple can not outrank.

Considering these facts... what do you think would be the better strategy?

Going for the bigger market but always stay as #2. Or going for the smaller markets and being #1 ?

Is there maybe any number that could be calculated you would get on clicks by ranking as #1 vs. #2 ?

I am leaning more towards a .com Domain hosting in the US with the following directory.

Example.com (for the US, UK and Australia)
Example.com/de/ (for Germany, Swiss, Austria)

Hmmm... so far so good....

What you think ?

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

If you're talking about ranking positions in the search engines, #2 is DAMN good in today's highly competitive market.

#13 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

Just so you are aware, certain elements in the "black hat" or "Web spam" community advertise high Domain Authority backlinks at very cheap prices. Some of them claim to have inflated their Domain Authority to as high as the 50s and 70s.

I would not look at Domain Authority as any kind of useful metric for SEO.
  • Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!