• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Responsive Redesign Vs Mobile Site Vs Nothing At All

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer

oldtimer

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:39 AM

Hi to all

To cut the story short I have a website that was doing really well for many years (top spots in google for best keywords).

I saw a drop 2-3 months ago to 5th - 6th place and its still dropping.

I think my competition is getting stronger...

I am trying different scenarios and one of them is if optimising for mobile/tablet screens will help with SEO....

At the moment the website is using a very old tables design (I was afraid to touch it because it was ranking high)

Shall i go with a responsive design? Shall I create a mobile friendly version and use redirect (not double URL) or shall i stay put  and do nothing design related since I am already struglling to hold my rankings??

Any thoughts are really apreciated and please keep in mind that the website is still popular with visitors so I would prefere to go with the least risky option in order to avoid droping further in search results.

Thanks!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,409 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

1: Stop checking 'rankings' you will learn nothing useful. Look at the conversions from "your best key words" instead

http://searchenginel...f-success-13258

And mobile/responsive/whatever is nothing at all to do with "SEO" in the "Search Engine" sense but has everything to do with what SEO REALLY should be, ... and that is Site Experience Optimisation.

and please keep in mind that the website is still popular with visitors

So why not ask them??

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,120 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

If you have mobile visitors then you want your site to be easy for them to read. But it has nothing to do with SEO. 

#4 oldtimer

oldtimer

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

1: Stop checking 'rankings' you will learn nothing useful. Look at the conversions from "your best key words" instead

http://searchenginel...f-success-13258

And mobile/responsive/whatever is nothing at all to do with "SEO" in the "Search Engine" sense but has everything to do with what SEO REALLY should be, ... and that is Site Experience Optimisation.

So why not ask them??

Thanks for the reply

If I wouldn't see a drop in conversions I would not have even realised that I dropped in rankings. Believe me 1st place to 6th place has a huge impact in conversions :(

Its a good idea to ask visitors for their opinion . I just wanted to find out which of the solutions available would be better  for SEO because I am reading allot of debate between mobile websites or responsive design

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,240 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

It comes down to how you engineer the conversions for the non-desktop interfaces. Whether they are presented to users in responsive layouts or on mobile-only Websites isn't the question. The question is, what does the user see when visiting your site from a device that is not a typical desktop or laptop computer?

It could be your design is uninteresting to the user or it could be that your engagement opportunities are unhelpful.

Many retailers have elected to use apps instead of Websites so that users can just search for stuff or look at the latest offers.

Unlike on the desktop, the mobile environment doesn't work as well for all Website types. Blogs and text-rich sites tend to do better without apps on mobile. Relying on responsive design for a site that sells 100,000 items might be going in the wrong direction.

So when you switch to apps you have to rely more on brand-related search, especially in app search (which takes place in an entirely different medium more and more these days).

You can't really afford to think about "search" as just "Google Web search" any more. People navigate through the Mobile Internet much differently from the way they navigate through the Desktop Internet. There is some overlap between those navigation models but the app market is growing and developing its own navigation channels.

Edited by Michael Martinez, 28 April 2014 - 09:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!