• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo Practices On An E-Commerce Site

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lukasarvidsson

lukasarvidsson

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:03 AM

Hi!

I have been working on a site for a client, an e-commerce site using wordpress and woocommerce selling spices in sweden. Link to the site can be found REMOVED. Now, I am primarily a designer and developer and not a SEO-expert, but I want to learn the best practices for creating sites that are user and search engine friendly. 

So with this in mind I have a few questions that I would like to get your input on:

1. In the sitemap REMOVED We have roughly 130 links that are the main static pages of the site, the main product categories, and the products. We have not added product tags or internal pages (like track my order, log in etc) to the site map. The idea for this was to only provide the pages that I as a user would like to find. What are your thoughts on this?

2. The amount of text content on the site is not huge (instead the focus is on the products), From a user perspective I think this is a good trade off, but how does this impact how the search engines see and rank the site?

3. Since the site was launched, some changes were made to the site architecture and the permalinks, this means that there are some "old" links still indexed on google (not to any important pages), wordpress automatically redirects most of these, should we just wait for google to reindex these pages or is there some way to manually make google reindex the entire site?(using fetch as google has not helped here).

4. Any other tips or improvement ideas that you have regarding making the site search engine friendly are much appreciated. The primary search terms we are targeting are REMOVED (ecological spices, rank ~20), REMOVED (ecological spices online, rank ~8). The competition in this category is not big and my client has just started marketing the site so we have very few inbound links at the moment. But if you feel that the architecture or design of the site could be improved, please let me know.

Thank you very much for your time and help!
Kind regards,
Lukas

Edited by chrishirst, 28 April 2014 - 03:10 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,958 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

There ARE only two things you need to know to make a 'site' "search engine 'friendly'"

The first is, create it for USERS not search engines.

The second is, behave as if search engines did not exist

On your points

1: Forget your XML sitemap, it is ONLY of use if your site navigation is poor or can create problems for crawlers, THAT is not the case with WordPress unless you have implemented an all javascript menu system that overrides the default WP system.

2: Provided your content is written for users the quantity of words is largely immaterial. If it says what you need to say it is sufficient.

3: Checking and ensuring that the 'redirect' is using a HTTP 301 response is all you need to care about. if it is Google will 'catch up' and provided users are redirected it really doesn't matter how long it takes.

4: http://searchenginel...f-success-13258

Edited by chrishirst, 28 April 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

Don't you mean 301 not 302 @chrishirst?

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,958 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Now edited, and you know my keyboard does that a lot :)

(that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

• Jill and torka like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!