• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What Is A Proper Keyword String?

Best Answer Michael Martinez , 21 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

Chris, you're starting to come on like a Bionic Poster. :)

Brad:

...I've read that since my business is only available to a small geographic location that it is a good idea to add that location to my SEO keyword string. ...

Put the words you want to be found for on the page you want to be found.

But for local search marketing you'll need to make sure your most important directory listings are updated and conforming to guidelines. You can start with Yelp and Google's own business listings. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Brad

Brad

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

Should I use:

Masonry repair Idaho, Masonry repair Boise, Masonry repair Twin Falls, ....

or

Masonry repair, Idaho, Boise, Twin Falls, ....

I've read that since my business is only available to a small geographic location that it is a good idea to add that location to my SEO keyword string. I don't want to lower my rank by spamming though so my question is: Is it bad to use the same key phrases or words over and over in each string or is each string considered as a separate keyword or phrase?

Thanks
Brad

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,016 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:30 AM

What the hell is a "SEO key word string"?????

• Jill likes this

#3 Brad

Brad

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

What the hell is a "SEO key word string"?????

Well, I'm no web design pro but it sure seems like one would have some idea what I'm talking about  :shades:.  Maybe I confused you with "SEO" (Search Engine Optimization).

I'm asking about the keywords that go in this type of tag:  <meta name="keywords" content="key words go here.... ">

...maybe I should have called it a keyword meta tag?? :help:

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,016 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

Right! So you think that SEO is stuffing a bunch of key words into a meta element. 

Boy! Have we got news for you.

First, 1999 went that-a-way >>>>>>>>>>

After that you should start reading HERE

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:58 AM   Best Answer

Chris, you're starting to come on like a Bionic Poster. :)

Brad:

...I've read that since my business is only available to a small geographic location that it is a good idea to add that location to my SEO keyword string. ...

Put the words you want to be found for on the page you want to be found.

But for local search marketing you'll need to make sure your most important directory listings are updated and conforming to guidelines. You can start with Yelp and Google's own business listings.
  • Brad likes this

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,016 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

May be, but it's almost TWENTY years since the "keywords" meta element content was even slightly useful for anything other than keeping a note of the document key words for your own use. You would think that the world would have caught up with that by now!

#7 Brad

Brad

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

May be, but it's almost TWENTY years since the "keywords" meta element content was even slightly useful for anything other than keeping a note of the document key words for your own use. You would think that the world would have caught up with that by now!

Well then it all makes sense....It's been about 20 years since I did much with HTML and web design.  Guess if I was more up to speed I'd never need to ask such a crazy question. 

I know a little about a lot of things.  Thanks to the internet, forums and people who are willing to answer questions, (even the stupid ones  :shades:) I'm able to to do things that I wouldn't otherwise be able to do.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,016 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:31 AM

The biggest problems with "reading things on the Internet" is the GARBAGE outweighs the good by about TEN to ONE(especially about SEO) and there are far more people who spread around the junk than there ones that heed the the good advice and pass that on.

Maybe that's because making it sound difficult and far too complicated for mere mortals to comprehend is far more attractive than the fact that it IS ludicrously simple. There are no "rules" to learn, no secret sauce, no scientific principles that you need to know and above all, no exact formulae or recipe that you need to adhere to.

ALL you need to do is create a website that YOU would be happy to find when you search for information or a product then promote it to people like yourself.

You probably don't like 'pushy' sales 'persons' ramming what they are selling at you time and time again when you are listening to them, so WHY would you think that your prospective clients (the ones reading your documents) want to 'hear' you battering them senseless with the same words and phrases over and over.

It does NOT reinforce your message, it makes people 'switch off', search engine engineers understand this so they do not want THEIR customers to find documents that annoy them any more than YOU want to come across documents that are going to annoy and frustrate you. You probably won't remember the document URL that DID wind you up, but you will certainly remember that it was Google that showed you it, therefore it's all Google's fault and you are then just a little more reticent of Google results in the future and therefore less likely to 'trust' what they show you. Which has a knock-on effect that affects the possibility of you clicking through to a advert that Google gets paid for.

• Brad likes this

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,635 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

Brad, not a stupid question at all. It only would have become a "stupid" question if you had failed to ask it and instead simply assumed the keyword meta was still useful. :)

As Chris says, there's a lot of misinformation floating around on the Interwebs. Asking a reliable source when something confuses you is perhaps the only way to sort the wheat from the chaff. So, don't be afraid: ask away! Chris doesn't (usually) bite (much). ;)

--Torka :oldfogey:

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

I don't expect that much of 7 billion people. We are born with an innate ability to eat, breathe, and make noise. The rest we have to learn. I realize it can be wearying to answer the same question 10,000 times but it's a new question for each person asking it (usually).

#11 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,016 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

. I realize it can be wearying to answer the same question 10,000 times but it's a new question for each person asking it (usually).

Sure, but sometimes it is actually knowing what the question really is that causes the frustration especially when one particular well known collection of SEO "experts" like to invent new 'buzz phrases' and "SEO metrics" from time to time which they claim are vital to success and then of course will sell you the "SEO toolkit" you need to check these 'important details' that nobody else has even heard of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!