• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Non-Robotic Seo Site Promotion Vs Copy / Paste / Carpetbombing Promoti

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 daveo84

daveo84

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

I've been reading about website promotion as it pertains to SEO and trying to get more links out to my SEO blog.  I've read that I ought to be posting in forums, local websites, facebook, etc etc.  I'm wondering if it is worth sitting down and writing a unique post every time and trying to engage people and get them interested in your site or just blanketing the web with generic messages. Keep in mind that my budget is $0.  My objective is to test some simple home-grown SEO practices without having to pay to see how far you can go on no budget before you need to hire someone or pay for traffic/ads.

Personally I hate seeing copy / pasted / generic promotion that is out of place or off-topic and I try to avoid clicking on any links that are obviously automated posts.  

I ought to mention that I'm a seasoned web developer and while I'm not new to SEO it hasn't been any part of my job for over 5 years so I'm kind of reintroducing myself to the environment.  The blog I'm trying to promote is a DIY SEO blog ( REMOVED ) that focuses on Fargo, ND businesses. I'm covering my trials and errors in additions to successes so people can learn from my mistakes too.  But I don't know how easy it will be to find and engage people in discussion about doing some simple SEO without paying a marketing agency right off the bat.

I'm starting off in a relatively small geographic area and there isn't a ton of competition, that being said I don't think there should need to be a lot of dollars spent in order to promote this site. But hey, I'm a learner so any feedback, criticisms or recommendations would be appreciated!

Edited by chrishirst, 17 April 2014 - 03:51 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,349 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:56 AM

I've read that I ought to be posting in forums, local websites, facebook, etc etc.

Then you need to STOP reading there!

None of that is SEO (assuming that you think SEO chasing rankings for one or two key words), and if you do ..... you need to start reading here instead.

#3 daveo84

daveo84

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

Hold up,

This isn't the only thing I am doing as an SEO tactic.  Site promotion is just one small part of the whole process.  For the most part all of the topics in those articles you sent are things I've covered.   One of the first points in one of the linked articles was to 'customize the content of your site for your target audience, not for search engines'  ... This kind of mirrors my thinking for the promotion of my website.

Basically I'm wanting to promote my website aside from just putting it in the search engines.  How do people know what to search for if they don't even know your website exists?  I want to promote my website without robo-spamming people and I'm just wondering if it is a worthwhile cause aside from all of the other content formatting, and grooming a site goes through.

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,694 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

Personally I hate seeing copy / pasted / generic promotion that is out of place or off-topic and I try to avoid clicking on any links that are obviously automated posts.

Well, there's your answer then. If you don't like those sorts of things, then why should the search engines?

As Chris said, you've apparently been reading in some of the wrong places. Real SEO today (and yesterday and five years ago) was never about "blanketing the web with generic messages." It's always been about making your site the best it could be for both search engines and human visitors, and getting the word out through good old fashioned marketing.

The thing is, you can't get good results on a zero budget AND zero investment of time. The old adage applies: There's fast, there's cheap and there's good. You get to choose TWO. Assuming you want "good" as one of your choices, then you've got to decide between "fast" and "cheap." You can do it with zero budget, but it's going to involve a LOT of time. If you don't have (or aren't willing to invest) the time OR the money, then you might as well not start, because it's not going to work.

If you're going to be starting a DIY SEO blog to help other business owners, you need to be honest with them (and with yourself) about this right from the get-go.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

#5 daveo84

daveo84

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the 2 cents!

But I never said anything about 'no time'. I have plent of time, loads of time, OODLES OF TIME. I also never said the articles recommended carpet-bombing or robo-spamming, this was just a curiosity of mine since you see that online all the time. I'm just wanted an honest opinion about the options for promoting a website ... by hand vs. copy + paste. Empirical evidence or experience, not a list of pasted articles and sayings.

Also, there has to be a common base point people can start at without spending money.  It isn't like every marketing firm just takes the money they were paid by their clients and flushes it into some advertising or content building. They actually sit down and take to task with many of items listed in the articles chris posted.

Again, this is just one small portion of my whole agenda.

#6 daveo84

daveo84

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:58 PM

Ok,

So here is a quote from one of the articles on moz.com    

"The engines by themselves have no inherent gauge of quality and no potential way to discover fantastic pieces of content on the web. Only humans have this power - to discover, react, comment and link to. Thus, great content cannot simply be created - it must be shared and talked about. Search engines already do a great job of promoting high quality content on websites that have become popular, but they cannot generate this popularity - this is a task that demands talented Internet marketers."

When I share and talk about the great content on a website (be it the one I'm working on now or another), is there a best method of doing this?  'Talented Internet Marketers' apparently are relegated to this task.  So what determines the talent with a marketer.  I keep hitting dead ends including this forum.  Nobody seems to be willing to elaborate, quantify, describe or otherwise even give a glimpse of the "correct" way of going about this.  I either get told to stop reading what I am reading and check out some other article or that I have to spend money.

WHAT ARE THE PEOPLE WHO GET THE MONEY DOING ?????? Someone is at the end of the money trail.  I just want to do what they are doing on my own.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

"The engines by themselves have no inherent gauge of quality and no potential way to discover fantastic pieces of content on the web. Only humans have this power - to discover, react, comment and link to. Thus, great content cannot simply be created - it must be shared and talked about. Search engines already do a great job of promoting high quality content on websites that have become popular, but they cannot generate this popularity - this is a task that demands talented Internet marketers."

That is a load of crap. The search engines gauge "quality" all the time. And, yes, they DO generate popularity for previously undiscovered in-depth content.

When I share and talk about the great content on a website (be it the one I'm working on now or another), is there a best method of doing this?  'Talented Internet Marketers' apparently are relegated to this task.  So what determines the talent with a marketer.  I keep hitting dead ends including this forum.  Nobody seems to be willing to elaborate, quantify, describe or otherwise even give a glimpse of the "correct" way of going about this.  I either get told to stop reading what I am reading and check out some other article or that I have to spend money.

Here are traditional methods of sharing content. They work but they require work.
  • In forums (and mailing lists) where you are already active and a trusted member of the community, write a simple announcement
  • On a blog with an established readership that trusts you, write a simple announcement
  • On social media accounts where you have followers who trust you, post a simple announcement
  • In any newsletters you mail out, include a simple announcement
  • Buy advertising
Sharing information about Websites is simple. Getting to the point where you have an audience to share with requires putting in time and effort. But you can always buy advertising from any of various large, well-known networks.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,349 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

". Only humans have this power - to discover, react, comment and link to. Thus, great content cannot simply be created - it must be shared and talked about."

You know that quote is the FIRST bit of really useful advice I have seen from [SEO]Moz

And just because people SAY they are making money does not mean they are

Nobody seems to be willing to elaborate, quantify, describe or otherwise even give a glimpse of the "correct" way of going about this

That's because there is no "correct way" for YOU to do ANY of that, there is NO WAY that YOU even can. What you have to do is create the content that OTHER people WANT to 'share', comment on, 'like' and whatever else, then,   you need to do is to give it a small push in the right direction by telling a FEW people that you are aware of who WILL 'share' it.

Your content content is a bit like the first particle loaded into the Large Hadron Collider (L.H.C) and you are the first magnet.  So your 'job' is to give the initial 'kick' to overcome the inertia and start the journey. You cannot be responsible for EVERY 'kick' it gets after that, other "magnets" have to add a bit more impetus to the particle as it passes through their 'shere of influence'.

First, spending money to make money is an essential part of ANY business, I do not know of any successful business that started with absolutely ZERO funds.

There is NOTHING simpler than TRUE  SEO. There is no 'science' involved no secret code, just common sense and a mind that is open to ALL possibilities. Once you close your mind and focus on gaining  SGB PR, 'x' number of links, or 'rankings' you are heading down the wrong route, So by reading the "experts" diatribe about "High PR sites" (URLs have PR not sites). "Authority" links, .gov .edu links, 'header' tags (they actually mean heading elements), 'alt' "tag" (Attribute NOT a tag), 'X' words for character in the title 'tag' (there can only be FIVE characters in a <title> tag but the <title>element can be much longer</title>. You ARE starting to limit yourself to this formulaic SEO which, sort of worked in the last century but has become the 'Albatross' of "modern" SEO.

Search Engines simply want you to behave as if they did not exist

Edited by chrishirst, 18 April 2014 - 09:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!