• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

An Unusual Use For Seo

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Arken

Arken

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

I have a friend who's wanting to hide the results of a Google search for his name. I know very little about SEO, but had the thought that, for a price, someone involved in niche sites or something might be willing to add his name to their keyword list, causing random sites to fill at least the first couple pages of results, rather than what's showing up now. Would this work?...and if so, where would I look to find someone willing to do it?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:48 AM

I have a friend who's wanting to hide the results of a Google search for his name.

It won't happen

something might be willing to add his name to their keyword list, causing random sites to fill at least the first couple pages of results,

There is no such thing as a "key word list" for sites, 'niche' or otherwise.

Would this work?...and if so, where would I look to find someone willing to do it?

No it won't, though you will find people willing to take money from you for performing this "service"

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

No it won't, though you will find people willing to take money from you for performing this "service"

And you can find them by Googling terms such as "online reputation management."

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

I have a friend who's wanting to hide the results of a Google search for his name. I know very little about SEO, but had the thought that, for a price, someone involved in niche sites or something might be willing to add his name to their keyword list, causing random sites to fill at least the first couple pages of results, rather than what's showing up now. Would this work?...and if so, where would I look to find someone willing to do it?

It's hit and miss, depending on what your friend wants to push down in the search results.  Sometimes reputation management just doesn't work, or doesn't last long.

#5 seolion

seolion

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:18 AM

Strictly speaking you can rank for just about any keyword, just look up Charles Floate and see how he ranked for 'Rand Fishkin' and 'Moz'.

Sure it's not white hat doing something like that, but it does work.

You'd need to create a number of different web properties and work toward ranking those, also having a lot of social profiles should help to push anything 'negative' off of the first page.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

And one day he will grow up and figure out that being a legend in your own search results isn't that useful

#7 MarkWarner

MarkWarner

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:42 PM

I wouldn't say that it can't happen. For example, Yelp results are strong enough that they are really hard to push down in the results. A random blog saying bad things about someone probably wouldn't be too tough to beat out.

It does sound like you are trying to go about it the wrong way. It's possible to just create profiles on some of the larger sites (like social media websites) and those are often capable of outranking articles.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

Then of course just because person 'A' sees those URLs in the results it does NOT mean that persons 'B' through to 'Z' are also going to see them. So your efforts to displace the 'unwanted' results is totally pointless, because they may only exist in your view.

"Googling"  yourself is a bit like listening at keyholes, ... Sooner or later you are going to hear something 'bad' about yourself that you can't do anything about. Because doing something simply proves that what was  said is probably true, and 'jumping through hoops' to deny it looks like a "no smoke without fire"  scenario.

As Wm Shakespeare put it;

"The lady doth protest too much methinks".

It's quite simple if you have the opportunity to debunk the lie (assuming it is a lie of course) " your retort only needs to be ... "Well, you can't please all of the people all of the time" and leave it at that.

Edited by chrishirst, 11 May 2014 - 06:50 AM.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

It's possible to just create profiles on some of the larger sites (like social media websites) and those are often capable of outranking articles.

You sure about that? I know that's what many ORM agencies say, but it doesn't seem true, imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.